tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pic'd this up today at a indoor flea market. It's a good sized fruit bowl 9 1/2 in. across the top. I gave a total of $10.30 for it. Looking on The E's sales history, I see prices all over the place. It will most likely be added to my pile of stuff I hoard :( ... I can't help seeing things that are worth more then their asking for it and leave it for someone else to have, what do you call that kind of dysfunctional condition I my have ???... I do know you don't run in to these all that much and that gave me all the more reason in my mind to buy it. My wife ask me all the time what she should do with all this stuff I picked up. I haven't a clue what to say to her. I've taken her along on hunts before and she doesn't like looking at a bunch of junk as she calls it. She know nothing of valuable finds in piles of junk and that's what she says is fine with her.

Attachments

• steuban bowl.jpg
    steuban bowl.jpg
    593.8 KB · Views: 101

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same problem with buying. But on the average I'm still ahead of the game and have been able to resist anything that yields less than 10x return and is a pain to ship. My wife has the ability to spot quality jewelry (one of my weak areas). When I buy my "junk" she says. if it's worth so much then sell it; with jewelry she keeps her finds.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same problem too. But that was an easy decision. Steuben still has some very serious collectors. Its no longer being made and was the last American crystal company. I think it was also the last union glass shop. The only way to really lose is if you break it. seems like a very sound investment.

I feel the only difference between hoarders and american pickers is some people have better taste.

Sometimes I do wish I had a way to unload items faster than ebay though. I wish my wife didn't collect anything then I would have more space.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what kind of dysfunctional condition it's called but I'm in the same club as the both of you. I can't let something that is priced at pennies on the dollar pass me by. As far as the bowl goes, a signed piece of Steuben for $10 is a no brainer. I would guess it has an etched signature? Doesn't seem to be a common bowl. I've only found one identical and it sold in 2003 for $120. Auction Results

I believe they went out of business sometime in the last few years. I don't know the current market for Steuben but I sold a Topaz Fan vase a couple years ago for well over $100 and it was very "sick" ( for those who don't know https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_disease)

attachment.php

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I do wish I had a way to unload items faster than ebay though. I wish my wife didn't collect anything then I would have more space.

Send them to an auction house. I have had reasonable luck with it. I was in line at an estate sale the other day and overheard other dealers (that I thought sold on ebay) talking about the auction place they are taking their stuff to. The thing about an auction is that everyone there has come to buy. Commissions are higher but when the gavel falls there are no returns and no shipping and no ebay ratings.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very marketable bowl. Great lines with a modern almost Danish look design. It should sell quickly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread