Ouch. Think I got a goodie.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And when I did a search under Chrysler Hood Ornament, it came up under a calendar featuring it (Chrysler Speedster) on the cover! I expect it will do very well and it may help sell the calendar or vice versa!

Nice find! I've been wanting to find an old hood ornament in a garage but the best I've come up with is a VW or Japanese import

It's also very true about digging into every corner. I can't begin to count the number of times I've looked in the rafters or some dead space behind a workbench that has yielded treasure. The best thing recently, and related to hood ornaments, was a few NOS Moto-Meter replacement glass lenses. They were buried behind a free standing cabinet under a work bench. They were worth getting dirty for...but you already know that.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Over $500! I'm looking forward to the last minute bids! Great score!

It doesn't really surprise me, it would be very hard to find another in that condition.

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
Nice find! I've been wanting to find an old hood ornament in a garage but the best I've come up with is a VW or Japanese import

It's also very true about digging into every corner. I can't begin to count the number of times I've looked in the rafters or some dead space behind a workbench that has yielded treasure. The best thing recently, and related to hood ornaments, was a few NOS Moto-Meter replacement glass lenses. They were buried behind a free standing cabinet under a work bench. They were worth getting dirty for...but you already know that.
Bigcaddy, those NOS Moto-Meter lenses were definatley a good score, do you still have any pictures?
This was one of those sales you go back to every day as you are the digger getting dirty going though stuff that was untouched for 60+ years. A lot items were wrapped in newspaper dating from the mid 1940's, don't get much better than that. And I kept looking at the spot where I got the hood ornament and the surrounding area was still the way I left it as it must have been to greasy and dirty for anyone to bother. The house is now ready to be pushed over with the dozers waiting for some ugly huge new house, what a shame. And I know the Gazelle would have still been in its secret spot to get lost in the demo. I am so glad I saved it so it can go to a new home, hopefully on the hood of a Chrysler.
And I hate seeing great old homes pushed over for some crap stucco mansion for the new neighbors from Manhattan, the only thing worse is a year later when they remove every single tree.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As they say, luck is when skill meets preparation. After seeing lesser examples sell for 500-600, I knew it would do well, but your final price is amazing. Congrats!

It also goes to show you that condition is everything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread