Ouch. Think I got a goodie.

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
Got this at an estate sale a few weeks ago, I was digging through the grease and grime and uncovered this beauty. I was covered in grease up to my neck getting into every corner behind shelves and under them. This was hiding in the far back of a shelf and thought it was an ashtray at first, its a vintage Chrysler hood ornament. When I get into a vintage place with 80 years of accumulation I check every inch of the place. I Wound up paying $5 for this. It was so greasy and when I brought up my items she didn't even want to touch it and said $5 on this. It sure did clean up well and I really didn't know what it was at first but thought to myself "this is different take a chance".

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 222
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 230
OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
1931-1932 I found after researching it.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
That's a beauty, and you said a mouthful when you said "Check every inch". Still, I'll get dusty, but not very greasy. The trophy belongs to you; the one that went the extra mile.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a great score! If you ever decide to sell it, I would say that you can get a pretty (non-greasy) penny for it.

Frank

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love sales like that, where you just dig. Great find to keep out of the trash.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you should get a big thick chain and make a necklace out of it! Seriously I luv old hood ornaments. Buy an old wooden trophy and take the top off and put the hood ornament on it. Great display!

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Gorgeous! All that grease did you a double favor by keeping the price low and preserving the condition of the piece. I have come across several old hood ornaments and it seems like they are always pitted or rusted. Yours is in beautiful condition. Well played, sir!

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Congrats on a great score! If you ever decide to sell it, I would say that you can get a pretty (non-greasy) penny for it.

Frank
I cant keep it, its just too nice and I would like it to go to someone who might put it back on a car where it belongs. She was hiding for a very long time and its time she shined again. I would want to start collecting hood ornaments if I kept it and that would be a high end collectable hobby.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Wound up paying $5 for this. It was so greasy and when I brought up my items she didn't even want to touch it and said $5 on this.

I think you will make your money back. :)

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
And when I did a search under Chrysler Hood Ornament, it came up under a calendar featuring it (Chrysler Speedster) on the cover! I expect it will do very well and it may help sell the calendar or vice versa!

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it! But, I thought the Impala was a Chevy...guess not..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread