Help with old knife

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine cleans out houses and I went to look at some of the stuff he had. I bought this knife from him but I'm thinking that it may be missing something and wanted to get another opinion? Is there something that is supposed to go on the top of this knife? It is an old craftsman hunting knife. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436491845.160293.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436491869.493737.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436491890.112933.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Your piece is marked Craftsman.
However, the knife resembles a Schrade Walden H-15 Utility Hunter.(center in picture, the others are Imperial knife's similar offerings.). Suggesting Craftsman got them from /through Schrade.
Pretty unique butt. Appears to not be missing anything.

Jesuit-trade-rings.jpg

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good answer releventchair! I found this here- Schrade Walden H-15 And Variants

In 1959 Schrade-Walden Cutlery's new fixed blade hunter was called....the H-15 "Utility Hunter". It was produced in four variants the first year, and was a marketing success under both the Schrade-Walden and Imperial tangstamps. Always an important retail outlet for Schrade knives, Sears Roebuck & Company had a large number of the H-15s private stamped and sold them to their sporting goods customers. So successful was the H-15 that it was sold through 1975.

The H-15 represented what Schrade-Walden was known for, an honest quality knife at a good price. Based loosely on the earlier Imperial M3 military knife, the design had a broad appeal to the targeted generation. Nowdays, you will frequently see them described as military fighting knives, but they never were. They were civillian hunting knives from day one.

The Utility Hunter had a saber ground five inch clip point carbon steel blade, an overall length of 9 3/4" including the aluminum guard, leather disc handle, and enlarged aluminum disc pommel. Plastic spacers on each end of the leather handle were brown, red, or black.

The H-15 represents a good value today to the collector, and are not hard to find in excellent condition. As with any older carbon blades, examples without patina or peppering bring a premium, but prices are very reasonable still. The varients are much more uncommon, and among these, the Craftsman marked knives are most often seen.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always thank you guys very much. Very good information as always! Really appreciate it! [emoji74]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions