What do you say when a seller asks why youre buying it?

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you say when a seller asks why you're buying it?

Hi everyone,

Interesting scenario for you all to ponder/discuss/share your thoughts on. The other day I was out buying, and I came to a house where the guy was selling a lot of car stuff. He had a lot of nice things but they were all very expensive, but I found a steering wheel from a '67 camaro that was in great shape and I figured I'd go for it. He wanted a high price but I talked him down, and then we started talking about his camaro that he had restored, and then he asked me if I was restoring a camaro too because I was buying the wheel. I don't know why, but for some reason it seemed like he only wanted to sell it to a fellow camaro lover, so I blurted out that I was buying it for a friend. I have no idea what came over me to not tell him the truth, but he seemed to take it well and the transaction went smoothly. I don't normally lie to random strangers and I felt weird about lying impulsively, so I decided to make sure that the next time that question was asked I would answer truthfully.

The next time it was asked I was buying a truck tailgate from a guy's sale, it was brand new and very underpriced and I was excited because I was definitely going to make some money. The guy was very friendly, and he asked me what had happened to my truck's tailgate. I remembered my oath from the last week, so I told him that I didn't have a truck and that I was planning on re-selling it. He seemed a little taken aback, and I could tell that he was regretful that he had sold it so cheaply and that he had unintentionally left a lot of meat on the bone. The transaction was fine, but it struck me that I had made the seller visibly upset and uncomfortable by telling him my intentions.

So what do you all do? When someone asks why you're buying their thing, do you tell them that you're planning on selling it for more money than they are? Do you make up a white lie about how your mom'd birthday is coming up and she will love it to make them feel better? Do you tell them as politely as possible (or not) that it's none of their business? I still don't know what is best for me, I'd love to hear what you all do in this situation.

Thanks in advance for any replies, and happy hunting as always!

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have said, "Wait. This is a tailgate? I thought it was a snow plow!".

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just say You're a Hoarder ,

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know others will disagree but I see nothing wrong with telling little white lies to sellers in that scenario.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just say I'm a collector. Nothing more. But only if I'm asked. Usually I buy without a lot of talking. I don't bargain, I pay asking price.

I have been selling a lot of furniture on craigslist and I find those dealers are the same way. They show up when they say they will and they pay your asking price and then they are gone. Maybe it means I am pricing too cheap, lol. I don't begrudge someone their money if they have the customers.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should have told him you're into tailgating :). Repurposed_Car_Parts_10.jpg

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't usually buy car parts but...

Most of the time I tell them that I collect all sorts of things and that I usually sell some of the items so that I can buy more stuff, which is basically the truth. Granted, when I buy something I have every intention of selling it usually, but it may be years down the road before that actually happens. It's really none of their business what you're planning on doing with it. Either way, I see nothing wrong with telling them the truth or making up a little white lie if it makes you feel more comfortable.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I almost never tell someone why I'm buying. Most people make assumptions about what I'm going to do with stuff & I just grin & go along with whatever they think. Sometimes I'll say "lots of people know I have the yard sale disease & ask me to look for stuff" which is the absolute truth. They don't need to know I mark it up before I sell it. One of my favorites is to tell people I don't have any idea what I'll do with it & I hope my wife doesn't shoot me when she sees it. That's also true because I sell through different venues & I really hope my wife doesn't shoot me.

The only time I pull out the reseller card is if they have a lot of stuff I'm interested in that's priced too high for me to make a decent profit. I'll say they have a lot of things I like but I buy to resell & I just can't afford to pay what an end user could. That generally leads to at least a discussion & often a negotiation.

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I might say because your asking price seems reasonable, and I've got the money, we both win! They may ask more, may not, just in case, you could always have a follow up reply, probably won't need it.

Last edited:

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on what it is. Since I usually buy toys and I am an old guy- I will make the commit oh - my nephew or niece will like these (I don't have any real ones). Some times I say I collect odd stuff. One time I bought a bunch of vintage sewing stuff and told the seller I was just going to dump it on my sister (I don't have one). Just what ever comes to mind. If it is a good yard sale I will make chit chat as I pick thru stuff. Most of the time in and out in minutes.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's this one couple that I see at least once a month at the sales. Almost every time I hear her talking (to the seller), she's talking about how her daughter would just love to have this or her daughter needs that or what have you. The husband usually finds a spot to sit or stand off to the side and starts going to town with his cell phone looking up the stuff they have in their (usually large) pile. Her daughter must be overloaded by now because this has been going on for the last 5-6 years, lol. Crazy people.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just say because we collect it. Seeing a 34-year-old male, buying jewelry at their house. Sometimes they will say why are you buying jewelry. And I'll say because I have three girls in my house so I think we officially collect it now! And no one has ever questioned that. They all understand! [emoji16]

Sometimes I even go Hey wait I got more! Then bring out the Mardi Gras beads. Lol.

OP
OP
B

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the replies! This definitely isn't specifically auto parts related, that's just what I happened to buy recently. For me it is easier when I buy things that I actually like, that way I can say that and not have to worry about it. Auto parts are just one item that have a tendency to make the seller chat with you. I've also noticed tools are the same way, Ive had people ask me what I'm doing with 10 pipe wrenches or whatever and I don't always have an answer that isn't "I sell stuff". I've also noticed that it's harder with high dollar items, with a buck or two no one questions but if I'm paying $100 for something (and planning on selling it for 3) it's harder to say "oh, I just collect stuff" for me, anyways.

I can definitely see how it would happen to those of us who buy jewelry, I know I definitely get weird looks when I buy lots of clothes or shoes that are obviously not my size, or better yet handbags and women's clothing. I have definitely pulled a "my sister will probably like this" a couple of times. Most of the time I just try to stay quiet and polite, make my purchases, and move on.

Last edited:

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will usually say the jewelry is for my wife, which is kinda true, she usually ends up with some of it, if it is something other than pm's and they ask, I just say it seems like such a good deal I can't pass it up!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I promise to give it a good home."
"Why do you ask?"
"Does it matter?"
"You're selling, I'm buying...........don't you want to sell it?"
"It would make a nice gift for (unnamed relative)."
"It would look good in my man-cave."
"My wife hates it when I bring things like this home."
"It will make a great chew toy for my pit bull."

I tweak my head a bit if a pawn shop owner asks "What did you pay for it".............it doesn't matter...............

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I tell the truth. But that's just me. "I'm buying it because its so cool" "I love old stuff" "This reminds me of ..." "I buy stuff to resell, but this is too nice to sell!" I buy jewelry here and there and use my daughter too...but I offer her and the wife jewelry and they usually turn it down...except for the gold over Sterling silver bracelet with 20 small diamonds and 100 sapphires...my wife decided she liked it for herself!!

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I promise to give it a good home."
"Why do you ask?"
"Does it matter?"
"You're selling, I'm buying...........don't you want to sell it?"
"It would make a nice gift for (unnamed relative)."
"It would look good in my man-cave."
"My wife hates it when I bring things like this home."
"It will make a great chew toy for my pit bull."

I tweak my head a bit if a pawn shop owner asks "What did you pay for it".............it doesn't matter...............

Lol...great list. The wife quote works both when you want to buy or pass on an item.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread