Is this going to be a trend? Yard Sale Regulation

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a joke. Working people are exiting NY State because of the high taxes and they are going to make you get a yard sale permit so they can screw you one last time before you leave the state. TOO MUCH STUPIDITY IN NY. !!!!

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The town I live in allows only 2 per year and charges $10 for the permit. Some have a garage sale every other week. So it is not really enforced. They will fine you if you are caught but they don't go looking. The reason for the permit is the city needs their tax money and since you don't have to keep track of how much you sold, it easier to charge 10 bucks (tax).

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The next town over has regulations, but where I live they don't. They have an annual village wide yard sale. If you register with them, they post signs from the main roads to your house and give out maps to visitors of all registered sales. .

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A neighboring borough doesn't limit the number of yard sales, but they do charge $5.00 per sale for permits........our city has not initiated any such ordinances..........yet.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend lives in an area where there are semi-permanent "yard" sales going on every weekend, all along the road. Same people, same yard, same junk. Looks awful and has really driven the neighborhood down. He hates it. i am glad to live where that kind of stuff is kept in check.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what happens when you have a few bad apples that have yard sales each and every week. I don't blame neighbors for complaining. I would too. There have always been regulations here. They just don't enforce them too often. Every now and then you will see code enforcement removing signs at intersections but that's about it. Around here they even used to require a permit that cost $10, this was stopped back in '93. Most places already have regulations in place. This is nothing new.

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
Im sure this is to squash the permanent sales, they are an eye sore with the signs that they use. Basically just covered up old political signs with the metal stakes with their info, all battered and tattered from months of every weekend out in the elements. There is one ongoing sale where the guy uses 5gal buckets filled with sand with 8ft stakes in them with the info. Holy crap I want kick them over its total BS, if it was in my town I would flip them over every chance I got.
My town passed a law that if you don't take down your sign after the sale they will take it go to your home and you get a $100 fine. I doubt it has been enforced once.

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same rules for us, 2 times a year and a $5 permit is required, which you are supposed to display. Regulations about where signs can be placed too, nothing allowed in city owned right of way or on poles, etc.
Enforcement doesn't seem to be as strict now as it was several years ago.
I think the twice a year limitation comes from an interpretation of IRS rules, you will find that applied to a number of other events as well.

Some areas with HOAs do not allow any garage sales, or only have a specific day with limited hours when an area wide sale is promoted.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
We also have the ones here that put up a yard sale in the spring and it is still there in the fall ..... On the week days they cover it with plastic then open up for the week end... It makes the area look cheap & crappy...

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My town has had it for over 20 years. Two per year and must go to the Borough Hall to get a permit. At the same time they made trash pickers buy a permit!!! Guys riding around on trash night can't touch your trash unless they have the permit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions