Silver for six cents an ounce and a little gold pin.

Sony the Fox

Jun 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I and my family were doing the rounds at a little vender's mall is eastern Kentucky and I stopped at one booth that had a ton of dusty, rusty, and generally dirty stuff. There was box of old textbooks from the forties, a box of 1970s newspapers, and a bunch of other stuff.
To me, it looked as if someone had cleaned out an old barn or storage shed. One of the things that caught my eye was what looked like a big silver plated punch bowl with a few silver plated dishes setting on a bottom shelf, partially hidden behind boxes of books.
They were nasty with cobwebs, sawdust and a dirt dauber’s nest. They only wanted two dollars for all of it. Being cheap like I am, I wanted to make sure there was something worth my while. The first was a small plate – [Eagle] Wm. Rogers [star] (plated); next was a small covered dish with the lid, Wallace (plated).
Last was the bowl itself. It's huge nearly a foot wide (11 1/4 inches) and five inches tall. Surely something so big would have to be plated. :icon_scratch: It was so tarnished and filthy that I couldn't make anything out at first except for "Shreve, Crump and Low"... never heard of em. I rubbed the grease and grime off hoping for the word everyone wants to see, and there it was. “Sterling”; an unweighted piece to boot. I literally felt numb; it had to be well over a pound I thought. :tongue3:

So to make a long story short, I decided two dollars was way overpriced, so I walked out empty handed silently cursing the economy that drove people to ask such ludicrous prices for second hand goods. :sadsmiley:

Nah, I bought it. I searched the rest of the booth and store, but I didn’t find anything else. All the way home I kept glancing at it, not quite believing it was real. It weighs 30.8 ounces. I am in heaven. This is my biggest ever silver find and second major find this year. The fist was a sterling weighted handled vase from the National silver company (about 6 ounces without the weighted part).

100_7053.JPG 100_7054.JPG 100_7092.JPG 100_7099.JPG

On the way home I stopped at a yard sale and bought a box of costume jewelry for $5.00. I found this in it. A 10k pin from Hewitt soap company commemorating 27 years of service. Has anyone ever seen anything similar to this?

100_6824.JPG 100_6842.JPG

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pin is freaking awesome! So is the large silver, Mega-Large ;)

I wonder... Is that a real diamond? Whats the pin weigh? I wish people were like that here in Victoria/ BC...
Everyone hoards their goods and never let go for anything under actual value... Clevar and smart old Ba$$tards.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Epic score. Congrats

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice chunk a silver. I'm always looking at label pins as it seems some are gold and often not a lot of money. Good job:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread