Hairy coin affect value?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this set recently and I just flipped it over and it has a hair inside the case. Does the hair affect the value at all? I think it's kind of gross but I don't know how it got in there!!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438372224.068721.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438372254.714940.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438372279.385599.jpg

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless its franklin's or kennedy's , i dont think it will :thumbsup:

S

stefen

Depends on color and whether its short, long, straight or curly...:thumbsup:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems NGC should be responsible for that if the case hasn't been tampered with. I wouldn't want to pay for a coin to be graded and have it come back with a damn pubic hair encapsulated with it. I wouldn't want to buy one either.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still trying to figure out what the "item" actually is. As in, what is this product supposed to be? Never seen an NGC slab that looks like this before. I am assuming this was some sort of "as seen on TV special", perhaps? The coins contained inside are not exactly "collectible" so I'm not sure why someone would bother displaying them in this manner.

S

stefen

Finding any kind of foreign matter in a sealed container is highly suspect...

I would walk away....fast.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still trying to figure out what the "item" actually is. As in, what is this product supposed to be? Never seen an NGC slab that looks like this before. I am assuming this was some sort of "as seen on TV special", perhaps? The coins contained inside are not exactly "collectible" so I'm not sure why someone would bother displaying them in this manner.
Why not? A coin doesn't have to be old or rare to be considered "collectible". Obviously what makes these coins collectible is the grade. Any time a graded coin is selling for 100 times it's face value, I'd consider it collectible. On their own, both of these coins regularly sell for $50 and up slabbed in this grade. As for the double coin slab, I don't know. They are out there though.

The link below shows it's authentic and if you blow up the photo you can see the hair is in the photo here too, so it came this way originally, I'd ask about having it re-slabbed for free if it were mine-

Verified certification information for 2028569-167 1963 FRANKLIN

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. I don't know what kind of hair really is. I was pretty shocked to see it in there though when I got home later on in the day. I wonder if they would read slab in the holder of its own instead of the double slab which doesn't really sell for much. It looks like they sell for more if they were done individually. Probably can't be that lucky though however they probably don't even carry the double sliding after dollars anymore I think it was done back in the 90s. Thank you all for your input and comments. Sorry for the gross thread! I will contact them this week and see what they say.

However my current situation is looking like this: my wife has a stomach bug and is really sick. Next my kids will be really sick probably tonight and I will follow up on Friday so I missed the whole weekend being sick next week. But life is good!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread