billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these two items today at the local monthly trade days flea market. A $10 oval 9" platter and an $8 hand tool made for some kind of task.

On the platter, the information that says: "S.F.O. 800" has me perplexed! I can't find what the SFO means in context to the 800 and any silver content. The platter weighs 422 grams.......

The 12" long pair of Tongs/Pliers (??) has three different gripping jaws and a screwdriver at the end of one of the handles. There appears to be owner's initials of "J.C." There is a Manufacture's name stamped into the handle. The initials "C.S." marked twice, and then the rest of some letters in Caps ending with "Co." that make little sense as to the company's name. I have thin hope that this item could be something from the Civil War and (C.S.) Confederate States.... Just can't find what the tool is used for....

Stumped.... Can you help with either of these?

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    545.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    653.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    400 KB · Views: 158
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    561.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "silver soldered" means it is plated. The SFO 800 is probably the pattern.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your platter is a piece of restaurantware from the Shamrock hotel in Houston. As stated it is plated. The term silver soldered was common on plated items with a commercial use such as restaurants and hotels.

Your pliers look like gas burner pliers.

Hotel logo-

5934237092_4aab1ae64a.jpg

Last edited:

Ahakunut

Jul 8, 2014
Honolulu, Hi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your platter is a piece of restaurantware from the Shamrock hotel in Houston. As stated it is plated. The term silver soldered was common on plated items with a commercial use such as restaurants and hotels.

Your pliers look like gas burner pliers.

Hotel logo-

5934237092_4aab1ae64a.jpg

How do you find this information so quickly! I'm impressed!

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig & GibH,

Thanks to you both for hitting the bull's-eye on items I couldn't get info on! I can understand the platter and commercial serving ware in the old hotel, but Dig!!, getting the identity of that tool shows your high skills if not out right clairvoyance! ;>)

The tool will go on my workshop wall and the oval platter in our next garage sale....

Thanks again, fellows!

Bill

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really. I have a pair of those same pliers. The hotel was a given with the info on the back of the platter and the logo on the front.

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice I.D. on the hotel silver, Dig. And billjustbill, you may want to consider listing that platter on eBay. Believe it or not, there is a strong collectible market for hotel silver. Many people dismiss it because it is silver plate, but personally, I have sold two or three pieces in the $70 $200 range each. Granted, your hotels with a more storied history are going to command a higher selling price, but a search of eBay solds for 'hotel silver shamrock' indicates that a teaspoon from the same hotel as your platter recently sold for $20. Something to consider.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice I.D. on the hotel silver, Dig. And billjustbill, you may want to consider listing that platter on eBay. Believe it or not, there is a strong collectible market for hotel silver. Many people dismiss it because it is silver plate, but personally, I have sold two or three pieces in the $70 $200 range each. Granted, your hotels with a more storied history are going to command a higher selling price, but a search of eBay solds for 'hotel silver shamrock' indicates that a teaspoon from the same hotel as your platter recently sold for $20. Something to consider.

This!!

I purchased my first few pieces of hotel marked "silver soldered" serveware and was amazed at how quickly they sold. Its now on my list of items to search for once my initial shopping is finished. I just sold a single serve teapot (silver lid & Hall pottery base) for nearly 100.00 and it had a number of chips. The fact that it was from a famous Los Angeles hotel helped but i would of never guessed that when i purchased them. Good think i took the risk and bought about 15pcs of somewhat famous hotel silver plate. Too bad i left a lot behind!!

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SDIceMan,

Your information about the hotel tableware gave me a little hope on getting a bit more back on my $10 gamble..... A question that I have for you is, "Do I Clean & Polish It" or just soap and water clean it up before I put it up for sale on Ebay or my own garage sale?

Thanks,
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread