Killin it yet taking a bath!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killin' it yet taking a bath!

I've been sitting on some stuff for a while and some others are new. I've done research on stuff trying to find what it sells for and not really coming up with anything spectacular as far as prices. So recently I've had two pieces of jewelry sell. one which I posted on here recently was a brooch with charms and matching earrings. Listed for $219 or best offer. Sold as soon as I listed it. I paid $30. I have no idea what it was worth but obviously it was worth more than I paid and it was worth more than my sold it for!

List another One last night for $120. Excepted an offer of 90 bucks. Paid a dollar for it or less about six months ago. Turns out there's a bunch of them listed around $600. However none of them have sold. I kind of feel like I've lost my touch but those two things maybe we're just pretty unique! Seems like normally if I list something like that it will sit there forever and never sell!

Should I be happy with what I got on my quick flip or should I check their website next week and see what they have the item listed for! I am thinking about emailing the first one with the brooch and asking them what makes it so special in case I ever come across another one...

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
If you double your cost - you are ahead of the game. As far as the "other one" for $120 not selling and other's listing at $600 - listing and selling are two different things. You might consider searching under sold items and see what they really went for?

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember the old saying, " a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally only search sold listings. And if there's not One like it go with whatever sounds like a good return. I guess normally most of the time there's always something else that's old like it. I happened to find the two that were not on eBay surprisingly.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey buddy! I lean heavily on ebay solds, but I will also frequently turn to Yahoo or Google searches to see if anyone else is selling. (Etsy, Ruby Lane, etc..) adhuntr.com is a search engine that hunts all craigslist ads, all cities. Kind of cool.

As far as how you should feel about these quick sales? I wouldn't beat yourself up about it for a second. You have a very satisfied customer, you gained valuable knowledge, and well, you still got paid. It always stings for a second when you undersell something, but not a huge deal on smalls. Not like you missed a few grand. That would sting a bit more. Haha

You're awesome, keep it up.

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got told in my economics class one day "Cash flow is king." Meaning, you got money quickly, and a lot of money compared to what you paid. Which you can turnaround and put right back into inventory and sell that. If you sell that as quickly, you may very well make more than that $600 profit, in less amount of time. Hard to be sure of course, but you're making profits and doing it quickly. So good for you.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got to keep making sales to make mo money. You probably done real good on the peruvian silver brooch set. I'd like to know what you find out, if anything, from the buyer.

Last edited:

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I got told in my economics class one day "Cash flow is king." Meaning, you got money quickly, and a lot of money compared to what you paid. Which you can turnaround and put right back into inventory and sell that. If you sell that as quickly, you may very well make more than that $600 profit, in less amount of time. Hard to be sure of course, but you're making profits and doing it quickly. So good for you.
This! I undersell stuff all of the time because I hate to see it sit on the 'bay forever! I want as much profit as possible, but I'd rather make a nice profit like you and get to the next item. I had a vacation trip out of time and wanted extra money...I listed some items cheap and sold them within 24 hours and then listed items during downtime on vacation and sold them for some more "gas and travel" money. SO I'm happy and so are the buyers. You do very well beachkid...keep it up!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This! I undersell stuff all of the time because I hate to see it sit on the 'bay forever! I want as much profit as possible, but I'd rather make a nice profit like you and get to the next item. I had a vacation trip out of time and wanted extra money...I listed some items cheap and sold them within 24 hours and then listed items during downtime on vacation and sold them for some more "gas and travel" money. SO I'm happy and so are the buyers. You do very well beachkid...keep it up!

Good point! However I went to list a ring last night and noticed the marking inside when I bought it. It was 18 K and topaz. And I did not pay over scrap for it. Went to list it at $150 just to move it... Googled the numbers on the inside and others sell for like $1500 so I listed it a little lower than that and I've had three email on so far hopefully it sells quick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread