The guy knew I was getting a good deal, but didnt want to shine them up!

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
The guy knew I was getting a good deal, but didn't want to shine them up!

I wasn't the first one at the sale, but early enough to grab the box of 30's and 40's dog show trophies and other sterling. The guy said he knew they were valuable, but he did not want to put the time and effort into shining them up to sell them for more. They weigh 5 avoirdupois pounds. Weighed on both a bathroom and kitchen scale. My precious metal scale is much too small. Dendritics.com says that is equal to 67.471 Troy ounces and melts out at $999.12. I am feeling pretty darned lucky! Hope you all had even better luck this weekend.

Attachments

• webmail (11).zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 192
OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I am sorry, I have still never succeeded in posting a pic here on this site. Moderators may take this post down, thank you.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like an awesome score! What did he sell them for if you don't mind me asking? Would like to see the photo if you can. Are you posting with a smart phone via Treasurenet app? It's very easy and fast to upload pics that way.

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Sorry, one of pics showed his $25 price tag for the box! I have tried tonight from both my cell and my computer. Yup, I was a little stoked at my own luck! LOL I was not using an app. I am afraid my smart phone is still smarter than I am.

T.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$25!! I'd be stoked too!
The TN app is free and once signed in you can upload photos from your phone real easy. You will get it :).

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Holy cow, that's all sterling? Great score!

There were 6 pieces that are silver plate, but the ones marked sterling all passed the acid test and weighed the 5 pounds. I am going to have a busy day today, but maybe tomorrow I will try again at pics. I haven't added any apps to my phone as the memory is full. I need to do something to clear it, like move my pics to a memory card or something. I actually went to the phone store Thursday, waited for 45 mins and never got waited on, so I left. Thank you to everyone for the help and the replies despite my lack of pics.

T.

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, you definitely score in so many ways, they are beautiful and I assume quite collectable! All the best!

RJA

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tory, Now that is a great find sterling at $5 lb. That is better than I can do. You might get better than melt if they are interesting looking (still no photos) Dog fanciers might like the vintage pieces. Or take to antique malls to sell.

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I think you may be right, Dan. And I may list them this winter on eBay and see if I can get over melt. I just realized I work with a guy who is very good with his phone, maybe I will get him to help me upload those photos tomorrow. One trophy is from the Chicago Dog Show of 1938. I would have to think that is one of the largest dog shows in the country. Nice suggestions, thank you Dan. It is always good to hear from you.

T.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Score!
Here are the pics
20150807_202226_resized_1.jpg 20150807_202350_resized.jpg

DomAdd

May 26, 2014
St. Louis, Mo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, on a side, note, I don't think you will ever find another item that says "Puppy B^tch" on it LOL

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I don't know how you did it mjlalt, or why others couldn't see the pics when you could, but thank you very much for legitimizing my post.

T.

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Very nice, on a side, note, I don't think you will ever find another item that says "Puppy B^tch" on it LOL

Believe it or not, the trophy from the Chicago Dog Show is also for Best *****. Maybe that would sell above melt on the bay. LOL

T.

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Just a quick update, the turn and burn in me took over (the money paid for a nickeled 2nd series Colt Detective Special from 1972 in 98% condition) and the silver is gone. I still have 75 bucks in my pocket to boot and I am a happy camper. Thank you all for the responses on this topic.

T.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you sell them to another picker or scrap them? Hope you didn't choose to melt them down, I'm sure there's dog show memorabilia collectors out there who'd weep at the thought.

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
If there is, I couldn't find him or her. Tears may fall, but mine are of joy at this pick. T.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a quick update, the turn and burn in me took over (the money paid for a nickeled 2nd series Colt Detective Special from 1972 in 98% condition) and the silver is gone. I still have 75 bucks in my pocket to boot and I am a happy camper. Thank you all for the responses on this topic.

T.
Nice pick up on the revolver. That's a desirable piece to own.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread