Cleaning An old clock Jaeger-LeCoultre

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for suggestions on this one. It's not too bad but there are some spots that could be touched up but it is inside of the lucite. I'm wondering if I should attempt it or if I should just take it to the watch repair place and have them clean it for me. Or if I should just leave it..however I think it would look way nicer if it were cleaned inside. It looks like dust and then there's a hair in the back of it as well. I'll try to get some pictures of it what I'm talking about and it looks like there are screws holding it together but I'm kind of scared to mess with it. Your thoughts are appreciated thank you very much!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439317252.233483.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439317277.492560.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439317309.543806.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439317330.043982.jpg

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave it!!! That is a very cool "skeleton" desk clock! If you want it cleaned, take it to someone that knows how it to do it right.And not just any old local clock shop(sry) Not saying you couldn't learn, but that's not the one to experiment on in my opinion. But I like that kind of stuff. I have fairly good experience, and have made a mess out of some lecoultre clocks, an atmos was one. Until I started to know what not to do!:laughing7: Sometimes they just look better left alone!

Have you looked up the value? Some go fairly high! I don't know what that one is off hand. If you haven't looked it up, start there to get an idea which direction to head next. I've blown apart,scratched and messed up some very valuable clocks while learning! It can happen so fast!:laughing7:

That one is well made!

Actually, looking again, Looks like you need a special tool just to open it. I would send it to a Lecoultre specialty guy. someone who has a good reputation in fixing and cleaning those! honestly! It's not cheap though!

Also, if you are going to eventually sell it, someone who collects, or wants that clock is ok with dirt. Over scratched up or marked up hardware!

Sry, to ramble! I really like and collect different clocks like this, or did in the past. If I had the money I'd pm'ing you trying to buy it! But if you noticed, you didn't get a pm from me!:laughing7:

Last edited:

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hours or $$$ put into cleaning it won't come back when you sell it. Looks great IMO, vintage items aren't going to be perfect.

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the dust looks very minor, I wouldn't open it up. I have 3 JLC clocks and love them. What do you think this one is worth?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found one that was Chinese design or Japanese that sell between 1000 and $1400. There was a white one that sold I think for $1100. I'm not hundred percent sure that number is right off the top of my head though. I would be happy with any three of those numbers!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found one that was Chinese design or Japanese that sell between 1000 and $1400. There was a white one that sold I think for $1100. I'm not hundred percent sure that number is right off the top of my head though. I would be happy with any three of those numbers!

Different scenes in the background can make a huge difference too, There might be one scene rarer than another, that a collector is looking for. You may already know all that.:laughing7:

You'll make more selling as is. I would bet cleaning would cost $300 and upppp! So, if you have to take $200 less than value your still ahead. If flipping.

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first look it appears to be a Japanese scene but the link above calls it Chinoiserie Clock which in Frence probably means Chinese.
Here is a photo of the last clock I bought. I am in the middle of rebuilding. The face is out right noe getting repainted and numbered. It is an 1880 Seth Thomas Chicago. I will not touch the movement, that is beyond my skills.

Attachments

• ST-TORN DOWN.JPG
    ST-TORN DOWN.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 82

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a JL clock with a bar movement like that years ago. I payed $160. for it and sold it for over $800. to a buyer in Hong Kong. The one I had was a plane rectangle clear case... good score.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first look it appears to be a Japanese scene but the link above calls it Chinoiserie Clock which in Frence probably means Chinese.
Here is a photo of the last clock I bought. I am in the middle of rebuilding. The face is out right noe getting repainted and numbered. It is an 1880 Seth Thomas Chicago. I will not touch the movement, that is beyond my skills.

That's pretty cool that you know how to do all that stuff as far as making them look better. I have no clue when it comes to that stuff! I would say that clock looks like it's pretty valuable as well!

I listed mine at $1600 or best offer. I may need to lower it though because our house needs repainted and air-conditioning just went out. And there's a whole bunch of things that need done around the house. We're at the eight year mark living here and having several kids so there's lots of things that need to be either replaced or cleaned up or repaired. So I might have to lower some of my prices just to move the stuff. Put the $ towards other things, we'll see!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread