1944 nickel no mint Mark(counterfeit)

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pick this up yesterday with a bunch of other coins thought I'd share.An unofficial variety of the wartime coin dated 1944 was made in 1954 when counterfeit nickels were produced by Francis LeRoy Henning of Erial, New Jersey. He had previously been arrested for counterfeiting $5 bills.

The 1944 nickels were quickly spotted since Henning neglected to add the large mintmark of the Philidelphia mint (P). He also made counterfeit nickels dated 1939, 1946, 1947 and 1953.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439665946.485418.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439665966.057432.jpg

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a henning. If you look at the R in pluribis. It has a small hole in it. Which is another dead ringer for the henning

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find! There is still thought to be a bunch of these buried somewhere....Interesting story when you dig into it!

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I had no idea they even existed until yesterday when I noticed there wasn't a mint Mark so I started to research it.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
to some folks their collectors items --but why in gods name nickles ? -- if your going to jail for counterfeiting --nickles really?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Turbo,, I missed that info along the way. I have come across some silver looking nickels but forgot that there were counterfeits out there.
I'll be saving them from now on.

Last edited:

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Wow. I had never heard that before. Interesting read. And yes. What was he thinking? :D

I think the judge said it right....he had it going on....and he threw it all away....literally, lol.

When I find old stuff in my change, I save it of course. Mostly wheatback pennies....but next most common is old nickels.

So after reading all this I went and checked my haul for the past year or so. Just a couple of weeks ago I got a 1940-S in my change....and I have about 8 or 9 Jeffersons from the 40s and 50s...

But no counterfeits.

Dang.

:laughing7:

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love it! I would luv to have one for my collection

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll probably never come across another one so Its a keeper for my collection

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to some folks their collectors items --but why in gods name nickles ? -- if your going to jail for counterfeiting --nickles really?
I made nlckles when I was in the 5th grade . My Father was a plumber , I would make a mold with aluminum foil , I would use his torch to melt lead solder into the mold . I would sand down the the top to get the roughness out . The bottom had a perfect image of a Jefferson Nickel . I made several , maybe 5 . I sanded two down real thin , It was a ''tails'' coin - I glued them together . I won a lot of coin flipping with my friends til it hit the floor and split in two . Boy , I was banned from our flipping games . I don't think they had Super Glue back then .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions