boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually stand behind them, catch the sellers eye and hold up how many fingers I'm willing to pay 10 fingers 10 bucks. Then it's the sellers decision how much he wants to make on the item. As far as the Nintendo carts go, you could've just handed the seller what he wanted for the bunch, kept what your boy wanted, then offered the other guy some for half or free. If you're offering him something free how can he *****? It'll take the wind out of his sails & in the end you might get a few hot tips from your new buddy later on.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Nope, not kinda your fault. Completely your fault. I'm guessing that you are young and newer to this game. There are unspoken rules and courtesies to playing it. What you did was completely a dick move.
And treasure.hunter.....I like your your style sir.

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
I probably wouldn't have bid him up but that's just my style. I've seen it happen before with negative consequences so I just leave it alone. Ironically the last time I saw it happen was at a garage sale where the owner was selling a bunch (30-40) guns. Probably not the best choice to run the price up on someone....

Not a week goes by that I don't have snippy comment thrown at me at a garage sale. It usually involves the fact that I am a 30'ish young guy buying jewelry that was otherwise destined to be bought by some elderly woman. It frustrates them and I get an insult thrown my way. This comes with the territory. For instance, I was at a packed, dust filled estate sale and found some jewelry. I picked up the box to see what was inside because I couldn't see that well (there were no lights on in the house). Not 2 minutes later a overweight woman walks behind me and mutters "Good thing I looked in that box before you picked it up jerk.". I didn't say anything because in a few years I will probably be at her estate sale looking at the same jewelry. At the end of the day it's just stuff.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
No other notions junk puppet. I was a little harsh. My bad. Just don't like that play. To each his own.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you explain to your son why it happened?

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Altho it may seem you had a legitimate right to offer $20 on the bow, in practice it engenders ill will, and in my experience, the seller almost always sells it to the first guy, sometimes even for the lower price, on the principle that the other guy was there first. I went thru the same thing as you have. It's best to let them negotiate the deal, and hope it falls through.

You said your nemesis was "a strict jewelry buy", yet your story begins with the guy buying a recurve bow. So he's not strictly a jewelry buyer, and this makes me think you are bending the story a little bit. I'm not saying the guy who dinged you didn't relish the opportunity to ding you, but I very much doubt he spent money on something he didn't really want just to ding you. He's probably unemployed, and since he's in his 60s nobody wants to give the guy a decent job. He's too young for SS and medicare, but old enough that body parts are wearing out, and he's probably trying to keep his head above water. I say give him a break. Those DS games are reliable, safe sales, he'll make several times what they cost, and that guy knew it and needed it. He may have rubbed it in just slightly, but hey, he remembered you had meddled, and he was just letting you know that he remembered.

I have a 17 year old and he used to come with me to sales when he was your kids age, so what I'm about to say comes from my experience as my boy's primary caregiver since he was an infant. I'd say this was a teaching moment, and let him know that you were just a little late closing the deal; the owner did not know you weren't just looking. Don't be ranting on the other guy, that's not what you want your kid to learn. He should see that you take responsibility, and that you don't blame others when in fact you had the opportunity to have purchased the games for him, but didn't do what you needed to have done in those circumstances.\

Having said all that, I'd probably have made a few choice comments to vent steam, then explained to my son that I was just venting, and that losing the carts to the other guy was my responsibility, not the other guy's, not the seller's, and certainly not his.

Last edited:

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you're even, I'd call for a truce. Whats the point of letting someone ruin your fun and have to have that "Oh Crap" feeling every time you see them...especially since he's everywhere!

Say, hey, I shouldn't have moved in on your negotiation, you got me on the games, we're even, lets bury the hatchet. You never know you might end up with a friend!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions