Storage Locker, Auction Finds?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried my hand at Storage Unit Auctions until I noticed that the Renter's locks had already been cut off and they had placed their' own locks on the units. Also, most of the units I came across were looking like they were staged and many were. The best deal I ever got was when 4 guys went in together and purchased some Storage Units that were rented by a Craft & Collectibles Store that had went out of business in the mid-late 1990's (I believe they had some insider information about what was in the units). I met one of the partners and bought most of his' part of the deal, then he hooked me up with another partner and I bought him out. These two went together and bought out the 3rd partner and then sold everything to me. They tried to locate the 4th partner to do the same but he had already sold his' part and went to visit family. Well, I don't know what they paid for the units at auction but I paid $1,860 for all of the collectibles I got from them which filled my' 2009 F-150 Super Cab Pickup bed and cab about 4 times to haul the items home. I sold over $7,000 of the items on eBay in 2011, piece-mealed about $4,000 of the items at local Flea Markets in 2012 and 2013, sold about $3,000 or so on eBay in 2013 and sold another $5,000 or so on eBay in 2014 and I still have several thousand dollars worth of the items left over. There were sculptures, Gem spheres (one was Amethyst and almost a foot in diameter and weighed nearly 30 pounds), Native American Indian items, beautiful Wood Carvings, several dozen Swarovski crystal figurines and paperweights, 12,417 Swarovski full lead crystals (dozens of sizes and shapes) from the 1980's brand new in their' boxes and many more collectible items. I would post some pics of the items but I deleted most of them a few months after they sold and the rest are on my' old HP Computer that recently fried, so I can't retrieve the pics at this time.

Frank

Last edited:

Ryans Rust

Jun 22, 2015
CA
Primary Interest:
Other
The other safe I opened had wheels. Laid it on it's back and using a pry bar and chisel poped the door off in under 10 minutes. It was a older Sentry. Cant wait to get another to see how fast I can open that one. Although I know the odds, I want to crack another safe. Sadly passed on one yesterday only because the contents did not match the price at all.

I figured out most safes with wheels I can knock off the back & chop thru the concrete. Slap the back on when I'm done!!
Locksmiths around here are privy to storage auction safes, in order for them to open it they want to keep the safe plus cash
....oh & they will only open it when your not there!! NO way i'm falling for that!!

I had a really nice 3' high Canon safe. It sat in the back of the auction bldg for about 3 months. One night just before the antique auction started, I grabbed the safe with the fork lift & I was bringing it in to the sale.......Auction owner saw me & said what are you doing?
I said if I can't open it (I didn't want to destroy it) then I'm putting it in the auction as-is!!
He said I'll give you $200 for it? I said SOLD. He did the stupid deal with the locksmith to have it opened & it had a silver dollar & some misc. stuff in it!!

One night at 1am I was at the auction bldg going thru my locker stuff. Got to a wall safe so I took it out back, using an axe to cut a side off & the business phone started ringing. Answered it, neighbors were complaining their houses were vibrating ....WHATS GOING ON!!!

Ryans Rust

Jun 22, 2015
CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Years!? Old chests around here sell well. We grab all we can if cheap enough. Crazy that everyone missed such a huge opportunity. Bet they still talk about it. I would. I still talk about units I passed on that I had second thoughts about later.
One storage auction I never went to cost me dearly.

So, on the East Coast, there is this bank robber. He is known and wanted. Finally caught. Known to have taken over a million in cash. Caught with about $10 thousand. Would not say a word about the rest of it. After several years in jail, he decided freedom was more valuable, so he called in the Feds and admitted to everything. He said that the money was in a "Sea Chest" at a Public Storage Unit in Silver Lake, CA (about five blocks from my old house). When the Feds got there, the manager took them to the unit, and told them that since it had been so long, the unit had been opened and the contents sold. One guy remembered that the only thing in that unit was an old chest, and not one person bid on it. They had taken downstairs and every week, their auction goes into that holding area, and for months nobody would even bid $1. It was still there and had over $800,000 inside. Countless people for a couple of years had been stepping over that chest, and could have bought it for $1. If I had been there, I guarantee that I would have grabbed it just to see what was inside.

Mike

Ryans Rust

Jun 22, 2015
CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Before we rented some warehouses, we would sell on Craigslist. That stopped the day after a guy was asking me about my security and if I ever got robbed. I'm sure it was harmless talk, but I have a family to protect. Post on local facebook buy/sell/groups. That worked really well. Then we had two spots in the local antique mall that was not cost effective and pulled out after 8 months. Since we have a store it's easy now. But before that we would network. Get to know the guys with stores. Sell furniture to them. Meet the swap meet guys who will buy the car parts, lawn mowers and tools. Meet the career yard sellers who buy your bags of clothes and baby accessories. ebay the small easy to ship items with exceptions to the "small rule" for the expensive lamps, bikes, dishes and such. Craigslist what is left over. Less people to your home the better. I had such volume it wasn't practical to meet up elsewhere. The more people I brought to my home, the more my house was getting watched. Had people steal boxes off my driveway that was to get donated to the Salvation Army. Twice! Jewlery- I ebay the nicer more liquid items. Sold some to a pawn shop back in the day. Mistake! We have been stashing the scrap and now it's time to separate and mail off to a refinery.

I don't have any finds as far storage units go. However I do have some questions. Do you have somebody directly your deal your furniture to and jewelry and automotive parts like all the big things what do you do with them? Craigslist? I sell mostly on eBay and some things on craigslist. But if I bought a storage unit I'm not sure what I would do with everything as far as selling it goes. Unless you had your own store that would make it a lot easier..

OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mentioned to my wife that I was posting some of the incidents on Tnet, she reminded me of the "Football Locker".

They opened a 10X10 unit. Old torn full boxes on the ground, wood shelves against the back wall.
On the shelves were old tin type toys & some games. I bought it for a little over a hundred dollars.

When I was at home listing on eBay I came to one of those old Metal vibrating football games in the orig box.
I pulled it out of the box to get pictures & noticed it still had two of those old RayOVac blue & yellow "D" batteries in it.
No battery leakage so I left them in because it looked so nostalgic for the eBay pictures.

A couple days later it sold $35. so I packed & shipped it.
The lady bought it for her husbands birthday & had me ship it to his office as a surprise,
(he collects tin toys & loves football, his office is decorated with the toys).

About 5 days later I get a call from I believe it was the FBI? & they wanted to know what was in the package?
as the high rise building has been evacuated & the bomb squad had just blown it up!!

I told him & he wanted the eBay item number to see pics & to know how much to refund the buyer!!

That afternoon her husband called me & he was laughing, said it was his most exciting birthday he's ever had!!

He said he's a lawyer in a (Federal or Government bldg, I don't remember) Downtown Chicago.
He spent the morning outside with all the people from all the floors, Police everywhere,
& they watched the bomb squad blow up his package & he got on the news.
He said they X-RAY all parcels coming in the building.

"One less vintage vibrating football game in the world"

Last edited:

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love all of the stories..keep them coming! I've never been to a storage unit auction, or other types but they seem a lot of fun! That one about the $800,000, in that chest is truly unbelievable! One question, if someone would have bought it, and the FBI followed the trail, assuming that records of the buyers are kept, would that party be obligated to return the loot? Logic says yes, as in the end they were stolen goods. looking forward to the answer!

RJA

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love all of the stories..keep them coming! I've never been to a storage unit auction, or other types but they seem a lot of fun! That one about the $800,000, in that chest is truly unbelievable! One question, if someone would have bought it, and the FBI followed the trail, assuming that records of the buyers are kept, would that party be obligated to return the loot? Logic says yes, as in the end they were stolen goods. looking forward to the answer!

RJA

When the FBI knocked on my door and asked me what was in the trunk? My answer would be, "it was empty."

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I mentioned to my wife that I was posting some of the incidents on Tnet, she reminded me of the "Football Locker".

They opened a 10X10 unit. Old torn full boxes on the ground, wood shelves against the back wall.
On the shelves were old tin type toys & some games. I bought it for a little over a hundred dollars.

When I was at home listing on eBay I came to one of those old Metal vibrating football games in the orig box.
I pulled it out of the box to get pictures & noticed it still had two of those old RayOVac blue & yellow "D" batteries in it.
No battery leakage so I left them in because it looked so nostalgic for the eBay pictures.

A couple days later it sold $35. so I packed & shipped it.
The lady bought it for her husbands birthday & had me ship it to his office as a surprise,
(he collects tin toys & loves football, his office is decorated with the toys).

About 5 days later I get a call from I believe it was the FBI? & they wanted to know what was in the package?
as the high rise building has been evacuated & the bomb squad had just blown it up!!

I told him & he wanted the eBay item number to see pics & to know how much to refund the buyer!!

That afternoon her husband called me & he was laughing, said it was his most exciting birthday he's ever had!!

He said he's a lawyer in a (Federal or Government bldg, I don't remember) Downtown Chicago.
He spent the morning outside with all the people from all the floors, Police everywhere,
& they watched the bomb squad blow up his package & he got on the news.
He said they X-RAY all parcels coming in the building.

"One less vintage vibrating football game in the world"

LMAO!! That's a story for the History Books.

Note to self: Take the batteries out of vintage vibrating Football Games before shipping to the Buyer. Wrap them separately and include them with the Game but never leave them in.

Frank

Ryans Rust

Jun 22, 2015
CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Storage auctions are fun. But there is a lot of work involved and sometimes dangerous too. Trips to the dump, bugs, soiled clothing, drug needles, dirt. But on the flip side, busting open the boxes it's like Christmas every time. Yeah never leave batteries in. Against USPS rules too. RE: the $800,000 in the trunk, I too would do what most would, keep it. But how good is your poker face? They are trained to get people to talk. If you did keep it, you can bet that the IRS and the like will be watching you and what you buy for a long time.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Storage auctions are fun. But there is a lot of work involved and sometimes dangerous too. Trips to the dump, bugs, soiled clothing, drug needles, dirt. But on the flip side, busting open the boxes it's like Christmas every time. Yeah never leave batteries in. Against USPS rules too. RE: the $800,000 in the trunk, I too would do what most would, keep it. But how good is your poker face? They are trained to get people to talk. If you did keep it, you can bet that the IRS and the like will be watching you and what you buy for a long time.

Simple way to hide the money. Rent the storage locker next door and put it there. Let them chase their tails for the next 100 years looking for the money. Then again, i don't ever want to butt heads with a federal agent again....that was a terrifying experience, or at least it is when you are 17 and have 2 of them on your ass all the time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Standing in front of the door of a 10X15 locker, they raise the door & it's a car!!
The car was brown from all the dirt on it.
All the paperwork was ready, A lady kept walking around making sure everybody knows it was in
an accident (you could see the dents etc.) & she said "the motor has shifted". So I watched the bidding & noticed she was bidding so I jumped in
& bought it for $1050.....
A 1995 Camaro Z-28 with T-6? package. Manual trans, T-tops.

I had it trailered home $100. tow fee, The windshield had about a 5" smash on 1 side,
One T-top was smashed, both mirrors were off & both front corners were dented in.
I looked at it & said "how is that possible?". How can someone dent the 2 front corners & not the rest of the car?

Then I realized the car had been baseball batted!! That lady probably was mad at her husband & batted
both mirrors off, the corners, windshield & one T-Top!! The right fender was so beat I took it off.

My friend told me that since it was in storage for a year, just to bump over the starter to get oil to the top of the engine.
So I went & bought a new battery $78., started bumping it over & WHAM IT STARTED RIGHT UP!!!
So my 16 year old son & I hopped in & I backed out. I put it in gear--barely let out the clutch & the bald tires
started spinning as the back of the car started moving sideways!!!
Drove it a couple blocks, came back & my wife was outside waiting.......oh oh!
She said "If you give that car to your son--your going to pay HELL for a looong time!!"
We were sad.....Damn!!

Next day I made a call & had a guy come out & install a new windshield $100. I cancelled the order for a new T-Top.

I put an ad on that Camaro z28 website for $2200.
Immediately got an email from a guy that's a border patrol agent & he collect these cars & he didn't have a factory silver one.

He came over & he wanted to test drive so we went. Second street over there was some water in the street & he said "do you mind"?
I said go for it!!! He blasted us down the road!!

He took it home with him :( Sad Day!!

View attachment 1205462

View attachment 1205464

Last edited:

MakingMemories

Jul 31, 2015
Pembroke Pines
Detector(s) used
Whites 4900D, Whites 5900D, Whites 6000Di, Whites Eagle II SL, Minelab Exterra 305, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool stories, thanks for sharing your experiences. I had thought of doing storage lockers but couldnt afford to lose the investment.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
are you brandi passanti in disguise?

OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was just 16 years old I bought a 2 month old 1975 750/4 Honda super Sport from a Honda dealer.
2 years later I got hit by a construction truck, he ran a stop sign. Bike was totaled.

40 Years Later:

One morning I was on the 2 day UHauL run, stopped at the 19th ave UHaul.
They opened a small 5X10 locker. It had a 1974 Honda 750/4 SS motorcycle in it but it
was missing the tank & seat. On the left side were some boxes, top box had a 60's Lionel train.
Paperwork was done on the bike & I know trains real well (use to sell at train shows).

I bought the locker for $125

NOW HERE'S THE KICKER, & I DON'T THINK ANYONE'S GOING TO BELIEVE THIS:

Next day, finish of the UHaul run. In Glendale 3rd floor they open a 5X10 &
It had Honda 750/4 parts, 2 engines, tank, seat & manual & misc., no motorcycle!!

I bought it for $75.

Next morning I picked up my friend John to help me load both lockers, he couldn't believe it either!!
Got it home, John went home. A couple hours later I got it running, but 2 of the carbs the floats were stuck so I fixed that.
Called John, revved the bike up & he couldn't believe I got it running so fast.
Next day went & got the title & plate & I was on the road!!!

I made kind of a rat bike out of it.

I drove it to storage auctions for about a year & my wife said I have too many vehicles, I
have to sell one of my bikes!!

So I sold it for $800
The trains paid for both lockers.

View attachment 1205505

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like this is going to be a Carrol Thread, but I'll post a few more.

One day on a locker run they opened a 10X20 locker & they announced it has been stored
over 30 years & there's a car in it.
It was dark & dank, the car was a VW bug. Well I didn't want the bug but I did want the old electronics, computers & records.
I couldn't make a deal with anybody on the car so that's it, I'm buying it!!

I bought it for $1325. Called the tow truck $100.
Really cool old electronics, Altair computer parts & manuals, Old jazz albums, gold men's ring etc.

I cleaned the car up, look'in real nice but if you sat in the seat it would rip from age.
The paperwork showed the engine was rebuilt just before they put it in storage. The VW was a 1972.
I thought about getting the engine running but I thought that would open a can of worms, oil leaks etc.
Put it up for sale for $1650 & kept lowering the price till finally it sold (2 months) for $1350.

The jazz records sold for over $1400 at the auction house. Later I sold the computer stuff.
By the way the tires wouldn't turn, rubber flat & hard as a rock!! Had to drag it.
View attachment 1205509

View attachment 1205510

View attachment 1205511

View attachment 1205512

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an antique stuff 10X20 locker. It was only 2' high of stuff from front to back for $1000.
Lot of neat old small stuff. I came out way ahead plus I found a statue of a nude woman.

Last edited:

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried it when the show first came out but people were paying ridiculous prices for the lockers so I never bought one a couple years went by and I decided to try it again and the prices drop dramatically I wind up buying three units for a total of $85 two for $5 and one for $75 one of the $5 units was my best find it was a 18k & sterling silver konstantino topaz bracelet
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440965183.601983.jpg

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like this is going to be a Carrol Thread, but I'll post a few more.

One day on a locker run they opened a 10X20 locker & they announced it has been stored
over 30 years & there's a car in it.
It was dark & dank, the car was a VW bug. Well I didn't want the bug but I did want the old electronics, computers & records.
I couldn't make a deal with anybody on the car so that's it, I'm buying it!!

I bought it for $1325. Called the tow truck $100.
Really cool old electronics, Altair computer parts & manuals, Old jazz albums, gold men's ring etc.

I cleaned the car up, look'in real nice but if you sat in the seat it would rip from age.
The paperwork showed the engine was rebuilt just before they put it in storage. The VW was a 1972.
I thought about getting the engine running but I thought that would open a can of worms, oil leaks etc.
Put it up for sale for $1650 & kept lowering the price till finally it sold (2 months) for $1350.

The jazz records sold for over $1400 at the auction house. Later I sold the computer stuff.
View attachment 1205509

View attachment 1205510

View attachment 1205511

View attachment 1205512

if you find a 57 vette in one, save it for me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread