Storage Locker, Auction Finds?

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Used to help out a friend in the military who worked part time at a storage unit place out the back gate. He calls me up one day and tells me to hurry to their auction. I show up and they have an old arcade game they wanted $25 for. I bought it, took it home and fixed it up. Years later I sold it for $300. I had gotten so good at this game I could roll over the counter every time I played it.

Another time he comes into work and tells me they found a whole bunch of guns in their trash after one of their tenants cleared out. He gave all the guns to the security police to see if they were stolen. The armorer used them to teach some trainees on how to fix them while they were researching the owners. Turns out the tenant owned a pawn shop. When they got in touch with him he took all the now repaired guns back and sold them all.

Others times my friend would call me to come help him move people in or out of the units, made extra money that way. Sometimes got free stuff. My friend was a good looking guy and over and over I watched the ladies he was helping make passes at him.

Those were the days.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I thought this was going to be a Hot subject, but sure was wrong. Come on, there has gotta be more stories out there!

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Yea me too, I expected a action packed thread, but I guess not as many folks go as I thought. I have not won any for a while now.

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Not quite a storage unit auction, more along the lines of a straight up auction story. Went to an auction in Olympia WA with my wife, due to seating she ended up sitting behind me. On one item that came up I knew my limit and the price rapidly passed it so I turned and started talking to my wife. I had been talking to her for a minute or so (the bidding was heated and small increments so it went on awhile) when one of the assistants got my attention. I turned to see what was up and they said I had won the item. So I asked how much, they stated about 3 times what I had stopped bidding at. So I informed them I had stopped bidding and they needed to give it to the the rightful bidder. Now everyone had seen me with my back to the auctioneer, I was quietly talking to my wife sitting behind me, and my flag was sitting on my lap. In other words it was obvious I had not been bidding and I was being set up. The rest of the bidders were laughing at the auctioneer and he got mad at me. Claimed he would throw me out of the auction, to which I stated that still meant he had to rebid the item, that I was not paying, and that his people should only take bids from those who are actually bidding. I thought he would pop a blood vessel. He let me stay, I saw nothing else I wanted so there was no reason for me to bid on anything else. Turns out, according to the regulars I was talking to in the crowd, his crew had a habit of pulling this on newbies like me. So, be careful of your bidding out there.

Ryans Rust

Jun 22, 2015
CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Bought a unit packed with boxes and picture frames awhile back. We sell frames well in our store so I was happy. The previous owner was a faithful Goodwill shopper as almost every item still had the price tag. They had mulltiples of the same item that people don't need multiples of. Unsure if they had planned to sell the items one day or was a hoarder. I think the latter. Tons of art. I assume The Goodwill did the research already so we priced the art for $5,8,10 and so on. About 2 weeks later I find a bookend. It was bronze if I remember correctly. Had a Goodwill price tag of $10 from the late 90's and I thought I could get that as well since it had a western theme and we do well with that. I then find a name so I look it up. I don't remember who it was (Fred Roberts?) but it sold for $75.

So I then start to think about all that art we have in the back of my mind.....A lot was already sold. A piece caught my eye as I was taking pictures to post for the following week. It appeared to be done in pencil and signed. The name was legible so I decided to look it up. Come to find out it's from a New Zealand artist Peter McIntyre (listed). The International Art Centre in New Zealand will auction it off, once I finally get around to shipping it. They think it will bring in $1,500-2,000 (Which likely could be $1000 which turns into $700 after their cut). Wow! What else did I let go for only $5?

Last edited:

Ryans Rust

Jun 22, 2015
CA
Primary Interest:
Other
So to go along with my DYODD theme.... Recently find an item. Wooden toy like thing. I begin to price it for $10 and throw it in the shop. Wife gets on me for not looking it up. I usually research most items but have gotten a little lax from being worn out lately working my full time job and running my business (have not had a day off for 2 years). Come to find out it's a Rosewood Abacus which quickly sold for $250. Makes me wonder how many other "nice" items I sold waaay to cheap. Which I'm fine with. Just as long as it's not a Jesse James picture or a Picasso.

Last edited:

Kerry

Dec 21, 2015
Ventura,Can.
Detector(s) used
Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like Christmas ,not knowing what is in the he box ? The anticipation and adrenalin ,what a feeling. Yesirie boy o boy I want in.for sure

Ryans Rust

Jun 22, 2015
CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Just like Christmas ,not knowing what is in the he box ? The anticipation and adrenalin ,what a feeling. Yesirie boy o boy I want in.for sure

Exactly. Well, at least it was at first. After a few hundred units it wears off a bit until you see signs of things you like. In the beginning, we were were optimistic and would be up until midnight sorting. Had to be at my "normal" job at 6am but it was worth it in my opinion. Those days are long gone. I can only sort until 11 now 8-)

But yeah you never know what you will find. Sorting thru a typical housewares unit and run across a Mickey Mantle signed ball. Another time there were glad bags of clothes. I toss them off to the side after I get a feel that they are not vintage surf/skate/music clothing. Off to Goodwill they go. Felt a lump in one. Hmm. Open it up and it was a Pyrex bowl. Sold for a little under $200 iirc.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ryans Rust, you might want to check the pockets on clothes you want to throw away or donate. My wife sent me to the burn barrel with a couple old coats from a storage locker. There were 2 gold rings in a pocket of one of the coats. Another time I found a 100 dollar bill in the pocket of a pair of pants. I always check all pockets.

Ryans Rust

Jun 22, 2015
CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Ryans Rust, you might want to check the pockets on clothes you want to throw away or donate. My wife sent me to the burn barrel with a couple old coats from a storage locker. There were 2 gold rings in a pocket of one of the coats. Another time I found a 100 dollar bill in the pocket of a pair of pants. I always check all pockets.

Yep, thanks for the tip. That's what people tell me. Heard someone found jewelry once in the cuffs of pants. I assume they fell off and landed in there. Imagine that. Lose a earring and you would never think to look in there. We used to look in clothes pockets but grew so big/fast that we were buying 3-5 units a month and really cutting corners to save time. Just recently we decided to close our B&M shop and scaling back so we can get back to the basics. Make it fun again!

Two gold rings and a $100 bill...it's finds like that that keep you searching those same spots forever! Found a large bag of marijuana once in the vacuum area where the dirt goes. Glad I saw it and threw it out before it went in the yard sale. I can only imagine the purchaser would have thought it was ours. If I ever start another company, I imagine what I want painted on the side of my truck/trailer....."Not my Junk".

OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't visited this thread in a while.
It doesn't look like anyone wants to post their finds, maybe afraid it will bring more people to the auctions.

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eating_popcorn.gif
Thanks Carrol for starting a great thread. I have enjoyed every single post - thanks!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the '80's, had an aunt and uncle that managed a storage unit near where I was stationed. I found out after-the-fact about a 10x20 unit in that auction that they knew was totally full of redwood lumber! I was an avid woodworker, which they knew, but they somehow didn't think I'd be interested in redwood. It sold for like $35. I still cry to think about it!!

This is a little off-topic, but only because these were found in the dumpster.....AT that storage complex. My uncle use to find pretty much anything in the dumpster. Brand new clothing, boots, tools, toys, dishes, even his favorite "The Fonz"-type leather jacket. He said how lots of units were rented by couples. Then they'd have a fight and one would go into the unit and throw out all of the other person's stuff. He didn't need to wait till auction time!

Back to the auctions that I can remember...
He also told of another auction that had a 4-level Craftsman tool chest full of tools in new condition along with a lot of misc. parts, and another unit that was (he thought) a storage unit for a Snap On tools vendor. Can't remember if that one made it to auction or if it got paid in time.

There were also lots of guns, a motorcycle or two, furniture galore(!!), jewelry, old coins, ....basically everything that was mentioned in prior posts. ...Not much mention of artwork though. Don't think that was an artwork area. Very little in the way of drug paraphernalia as well.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Ive heard that "some lockers" have had certain items or fancy boxes placed into some lockers as a carrot to entice people to bid high for nothing. Buyer beware!

OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 place used comp usa boxes.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Bought a unit packed with boxes and picture frames awhile back. We sell frames well in our store so I was happy. The previous owner was a faithful Goodwill shopper as almost every item still had the price tag. They had mulltiples of the same item that people don't need multiples of. Unsure if they had planned to sell the items one day or was a hoarder. I think the latter. Tons of art. I assume The Goodwill did the research already so we priced the art for $5,8,10 and so on. About 2 weeks later I find a bookend. It was bronze if I remember correctly. Had a Goodwill price tag of $10 from the late 90's and I thought I could get that as well since it had a western theme and we do well with that. I then find a name so I look it up. I don't remember who it was (Fred Roberts?) but it sold for $75.

So I then start to think about all that art we have in the back of my mind.....A lot was already sold. A piece caught my eye as I was taking pictures to post for the following week. It appeared to be done in pencil and signed. The name was legible so I decided to look it up. Come to find out it's from a New Zealand artist Peter McIntyre (listed). The International Art Centre in New Zealand will auction it off, once I finally get around to shipping it. They think it will bring in $1,500-2,000 (Which likely could be $1000 which turns into $700 after their cut). Wow! What else did I let go for only $5?

Did you ever ship this off?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread