Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Snatched this up for a song at a sale on Sunday. Unmarked, but probably 950 silver. I will be testing to be sure.

I can't find anything just like it. No other examples seem to have the fat/rolled top lip. Elephant on the bottom also unique.

Any experts out there? How would you list it for sale?

$599 OBO

$399 auction start price and let it go?

Am I under or overshooting?

Thanks friends!!

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
If it was me I would hold off any sell until I was happy as to knowing what I had..It looks to be very heavy and not cheaply made,like as a gift to some one that has some kind of power,and not some kind of cheap candy dish. You could have some thing brought home by a diplomat or service man.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have handled similar pieces. Sold a repousse silver cigarette box a few years ago, but it didn't fetch anywhere near what it was worth. Not much demand for SE Asian silver.

Here is someone in Europe offering a similar piece for $980... but he won't get anywhere near that.

Fine Burmese Ceremonial Repousse Silver Bowl, c. 1900. (item #968625)

It looks early to mid 20th century to me.

I would guess it is .900 silver.

If you like it, I would keep it, rather than sell it at a lower price.

Good luck.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought and sold gold and silver for over 20 years... The 3rd pic looks likes its plated silver... IMO ... Be sure its really silver before you sell it... Neat find!!

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's beautiful, do you mind if I ask what you paid for it? Just wondering what the sellers valued it at. I was also wondering what it weighed, obviously you're not going to scrap it, curious because it seems quite substantial for a repoussèd piece.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It has no tell-tale signs of it being plated...

The last pic shows dents on the bottom. I have only seen that effect on solid silver items (the reflections). Also, the dark toning is fairly typical tarnish patterns on sterling. Silver plate almost always tarnishes with bright colors, mostly blue hues.

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it was me I would hold off any sell until I was happy as to knowing what I had..It looks to be very heavy and not cheaply made,like as a gift to some one that has some kind of power,and not some kind of cheap candy dish. You could have some thing brought home by a diplomat or service man.

Ceremonial bowl of sorts from my understanding. Thanks for your comment.

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you like it, I would keep it, rather than sell it at a lower price.

Good luck.

If I can't get 400 for it, I will end up kicking it around for awhile. I really do like it. It does have some condition issues, and a couple very small breaks in high relief work. I think it is older than most bowls on the market... Mere speculation.

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought and sold gold and silver for over 20 years... The 3rd pic looks likes its plated silver... IMO ... Be sure its really silver before you sell it... Neat find!!

Sounds, feels and looks like the real mccoy to me! I know what you mean by some of the coloring on the 3rd pic, though. Will be testing soon.

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's beautiful, do you mind if I ask what you paid for it? Just wondering what the sellers valued it at. I was also wondering what it weighed, obviously you're not going to scrap it, curious because it seems quite substantial for a repoussèd piece.

$50

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has no tell-tale signs of it being plated...

The last pic shows dents on the bottom. I have only seen that effect on solid silver items (the reflections). Also, the dark toning is fairly typical tarnish patterns on sterling. Silver plate almost always tarnishes with bright colors, mostly blue hues.
I was thinking the same thing.

Look at the price of this bowl. Granted it is much more detailed but still. I was just looking for a similar elephant bottom. Found another besides this one but neither like yours. Antique Burmese Repoussé Silver Bowl from dynastycollections on Ruby Lane

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking the same thing.

Look at the price of this bowl. Granted it is much more detailed but still. I was just looking for a similar elephant bottom. Found another besides this one but neither like yours. Antique Burmese Repoussé Silver Bowl from dynastycollections on Ruby Lane

Nice research. My bowl is a little smaller, and seems a bit more crude. Maybe just older? And the rolled top lip of my bowl is unique-looking. I can't find any similar bowls with this construction. It's much wider up top.

Oh, it weighs just over 6 ounces, so it's fairly chunky for its size.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a very nice find but in my opinion I'd be surprised if he sold for more than $ 100. I just don't think there's a big market for them. But I've been wrong many times

S

stefen

Just a side comment...

Do not use Ebay List prices as a value...

The listing price and actual selling price are not always the same.

It's Ego Value vs. Reality Value

As an example you can always put it up for auction with a beginning bid of $5.00 but set a 'Reserve' of around $400.00...

It will either reach the Reserve Price or will stall well below it...which lets you know what value buyers are willing to pay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions