2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is another item found in the estate clean out (previous thread of mine). Only one tiny mark that I found "MS"?. Anyone? Looks old and has a triangular shape blade with some leather remnants (sheath?). ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441331470.282424.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441331512.209673.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441331526.605029.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441331541.319182.jpg
As I'm loading these photos I just realized the sheath piece probably comes off. Maybe there's another mark under it. I'll be back up there tomorrow afternoon and I'll check. Thanks for any suggestions!![emoji4]

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a WW1 U.S. Trench knife, or at least one variation. The triangular blade was used to puncture heavy German wool coats and leave a hard to close triangular wound. I think that blade profile along with widespread use of poison gas was stopped after WW1. I think it was listed in the Geneva protocols

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most common maker for that pattern was LF&C. Some of them were marked MS on the collar and drag.

That's a very nice find. Too bad the scabbard is toast but the knife, for being over 85 years, looks like it's in amazing condition.

You might find a date under the remaining portion of scabbard and LF &C on the blade, where it meets the hand guard

OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks bigcaddy & Digs!! That info is awesome! Trench knife, WWI, LF&C- great research points. I will do some more research with this info and see where the best place to sell it would be. My brain is toast after trying to look up so many things, working my regular job and trying to parent my teenagers!! Lol. At least my husband will be home tonight from his work trip to Texas. He is a great help with everything. I give a lot of credit to single parents!!

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! ebay won't allow any knife with what they call a knuckle-duster or D-guard. I had a spanish-american war bowie once with a guard like that and I sold it on craigslist.

OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! ebay won't allow any knife with what they call a knuckle-duster or D-guard. I had a spanish-american war bowie once with a guard like that and I sold it on craigslist.

Thanks for the heads up regarding eBay policy. I figured but have not had time to research that yet. I'm sure my mom will want to sell it so I'll suggest CL or to research other online outlets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread