Questions about laterns

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I have been looking for a lantern to use for myself.

I found this propane Turner Camping lantern. I don't really feel like buying propane tanks for it and I think it is too good of shape and cool looking to use. I thought it would be worth a decent amount. ebay only has one sold one that sold for much less than expected. However, mine is in much better shaped. I was thinking about listing it, but seems like a pain to ship for that much money.

1-IMG_3995.JPG

A couple weeks ago I found this 1964 220F, 228F coleman in the box. It looks unused. I thought this would be worth a decent amount, but looks like similar ones in the box sold for $50, which is a little less than a new coleman lantern would cost me. Again this looks like it would be a pain to ship.

So my question is, do I:
1) sell and buy a new one
2) sell and wait for used on at another yard sale
3) keep it and use it (Curious if the older ones are more durable than newer ones)

3-IMG_4000.JPG

4-IMG_4001.JPG

5-IMG_4003.JPG

6-IMG_4008.JPG

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
Keep the box and paper work and use the lantern all that you can just take care of it and when the time comes then sell it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing I would ask is, do you really want a fuel operated lantern? There are (IMO) better LED options out there. Not to mention, those socks can be a pain in the butt at times.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have gone to sleep many nights at the deer camp hearing the low and slow hiss of a Coleman lantern hanging from a rafter. The thought brings back memories of deer camp, fishing all night long running trot lines and such and bugs by the bucket full in the spring and summer. I would use it. We have several and use them...d2

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a Coleman 200A fan. Started by getting one older than myself back in operation when I was about twelve, four decades ago plus and it's still around after lots of use.
One thing I check on used ones is under fuel fill cap to look for corrosion.
Most can be saved, but the less work and parts the better..
Nothing unusual to have a dry pump or a fill cap that does not hold pressure,heck they get old and stiff just setting around too.
Camping, hunting,fishing at night, power outages, ice fishing, keeping my self warm sitting on a wood box built to hold a lantern.
The only significant advantage to new ones is being able to burn automotive gas.
That can be done in the old ones with not as bright a glow, but can shorten generator life.
With the crap ethanol in today's fuel I would avoid it in a new model lantern anyway.
I have not looked at lanterns online for a few months but your Coleman being boxed and with vintage paperwork represents the premium examples.
The striker to ignite is another few bucks and the lantern looks immaculate/mint.
A collector who wanted that model should be delighted.
Check out a Coleman collectors type forum (but don't neglect T-Net to do it..)
Some info and fans. Be careful though you might get an itch to collect.
They even have conventions! l.o.l..
I'd be tempted to sit on that lantern you acquired but would struggle to not fire it up and keep it minty.
They were built to use. :skullflag:
The danger in estimating a value for me is the year.
Models of a year newer are being offered from around sixty on up but all are used or scratched ect.
A patient research though, you should get a better idea.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gone to sleep many nights at the deer camp hearing the low and slow hiss of a Coleman lantern hanging from a rafter. The thought brings back memories of deer camp, fishing all night long running trot lines and such and bugs by the bucket full in the spring and summer. I would use it. We have several and use them...d2
I hear ya and I agree, great memories here too. Just seems the older I get the easier I like things to be, especially when it comes to camping out.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the heads up mojjax. I have a few I need to dispose of. Will be more careful.

Thanks to everyone for the good advice. I decided the one in the box is just too nice to use. I have LED camping lights but they are just not the same.

So I found this 288 yesterday along with a can of fuel for $10. Turns out the pump is broken and a replacement one is $15...doh! At least I now know how to check the pumps ahead of time.

Attachments

• 1441559642696.jpg
    1441559642696.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 50

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread