Can anyone teach me about vintage fur coats?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Just wondering if someone can help me with two vintage fur coats that I picked up recently.

I bought a white fur coat, which I think is rabbit over the weekend. Definitely a late 50's or early 60's style and cut. This one is a has a known store name in our area.

I bought another beautiful fur coat this past early summer. I think it has a label from a Chicago store, and is much higher quality than the white one that I bought over the weekend.

What are the buyers looking for?

I have spent a good deal of time studying the completed listings on ebay, but can't make heads or tails of it, other than the top labels are selling for the most money.

Thoughts, anyone?

I'd also like to know what I should check for before listing these coats. Are there things that I need to check, other than the obvious?

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going through the same thing. My wife's grandmother had gorgeous mink coat made for her in New York. Read some really good articles after searching for how to sell a used fur. I think most important things are knowing exactly what type of fur it is, exact measurments, and condition. I will post a picture of mine later. I look forward to seeing what others have to say.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if someone can help me with two vintage fur coats that I picked up recently.

I bought a white fur coat, which I think is rabbit over the weekend.

Guess you would need to find out what it is during the week.

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of a tough sell since your target demographic is going to be either really old and fussy or really young and hip and broke. I assume these are ladies' fur coats? Might want to go the consignment route since fur is something that is going to sell based on feel. Men's furs might have more of a novelty factor. Agree with the above poster re: knowing the exact kind of fur and measurements in any case.

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought one at a garage sale about 9 months ago. The owner noted that it was his mom's. Said bought it for $1500. There was no tag, so I took it to a high end fur coat shop. It was appraised for $400. I put it on Ebay and it sold for $100 plus shipping. I forgot to cancel while I still had the opportunity due to the low amount. Could have sold for $200-$225. There is a market, but like anything, the brand and condition are everything. Good luck!

P.S. I did not pay anything to have it appraised. I was well dressed, respectful, friendly, and cordial with the gentleman that appraised it, and I believe that that went a long way. The power of nice can open a lot of doors! :)
RJA

Last edited:

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LMAO at beans!!! That was funny...d2

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thanks for the replies!!!

Are you all making fun of my disjointed sentences?

:)

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Are vintage fur coats a new hip thing?

I was really surprised to see any of them selling. I thought that fur was unfashionable??

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are vintage fur coats a new hip thing?

I was really surprised to see any of them selling. I thought that fur was unfashionable??

It depends on where you are I guess. I wouldn't wear one to a PETA rally.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my wife a rabbit fur and a red fox jacket plus a nice mink stole, all 3 for under $50.00 at an auction....

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'd love to!

Just look on ebay to see what kind of fur coats are selling. There are a few good ones and many bad ones. FUR COAT | eBay

I have spent hours trying to figure out what and why some fur coats are selling on ebay. I am an experienced seller...and I can't make heads or tails of it.

I am to the point of listing the white fur coat at $99 BIN, and running an auction on the better coat, starting at $99.

When would be the best time to start an auction for a fur coat? November???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions