diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few finds since I posted last. No photos of the jewelry but I have found a small hand full over the last month. First pic shows a cool old House of Art litho print of "St. Veronica's Handkerchief",1920's supposedly.

DSC02750.JPG

Next photo shows a small art deco "bronzed" spelter table lamp with a sexy lady posed stretching against a tree, it's a little worn but it's already been put to use on my desk, 1940's I believe.

DSC02776.JPG

I also found a couple nice mirrors, including another art deco beauty on the left. It's actually a picture frame that someone put a mirror in. The brass cherubs and shell mirror seems to be pretty common and was probably made in the 1970's.

DSC02778.JPG

Next is a watercolor from 1924 artist who knows? I bought it for the frame actually.

DSC02755.JPG DSC02759.JPG

Etching of a yet unknown bridge and crane. Undecipherable chicken scratch signed, but the price was right.

DSC02763.JPG

EDIT- Treasurenet having issues I guess??????

Photos will not upload anymore. message from treasurenet- failed to upload file. Will finish posting this in the morning if it's fixed by then.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said "price was right"... but what was the price(s).. ? ? ?

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Art Deco mirror/picture frame looks more Art Nouveau to me. That would make it a little older and may have some good return value .

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "St. Veronica's Handkerchief" is awesome. Great find!

Eyes looked closed to me first but now they look open.

Gabriel Max's picture, painted during the mid 19th century, is a form of trick art, where the eyes of Christ could be either open or closed. Many people visiting All Saints Church look at the painting and see the eyes opening or closing before them, and claim a miracle has taken place - behold, the blinking Christ of Helmsley! Some more rational but no less gullible souls think that I sit in the wall behind the painting operating the eyes! When showing children around the church, they are naturally drawn to this rather spooky picture. I tell them the story of Veronica, and then conclude by saying that the picture has a double message. Christ with his eyes shut is saying, 'You've made such a mess of things, I just can't bear to look.' The open-eyed Christ is so in love with you that he can't take his eyes off you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
continued...

signature of the bridge etching-

DSC02769.JPG DSC02767.JPG

And the whatsit. Any ideas what this thing held? I haven't really searched yet myself. I bought it for the graphics. The outer is some type of non ferrous metal, tin I believe and the inner is anodized aluminum. The outer dimensions are 15 3/4" long by 3 1/2" wide, actual measurement inside the tray is 15 1/2" by 3 1/4". It slides open from both ends. Actually if you turn it sideways, the tray falls out on it's own with no resistence. I can only think of cigarettes or artist pastels as far as the size goes-

DSC02780.JPG
DSC02781.JPG
DSC02783.JPG
DSC02784.JPG
DSC02787.JPG

I purchased all of this at the same estate sale. Several other smaller items are not shown. Paid $83 for the lot, but $40 of that was for a pair of vintage lamps the wife bought for the bedroom.

Last edited:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Your Art Deco mirror/picture frame looks more Art Nouveau to me. That would make it a little older and may have some good return value .

I was going to say, Certainly not Deco, Nouveau is correct. Very nice, I would certainly scoop it up. The lamp is not Deco either. Could be Nouveau, but that isn't right either. Deco is more angular, industrial, streamlined. Nouveau has nature and natural forms, though they may be streamlined in later nouveau. You will rarely see the human body or flowers in anything deco.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm more interested in the whatsit to be honest.

Thanks for the replies. I agree that the left mirror is more Art Nouveau in style. There are plenty of Art Deco era objects that portray the human body in a nude form though, it was a popular theme. When I think of Art Deco nude, I usually think of Frankart bookends that I owned a long time ago, or I think of the Rookwood reclining nude pin tray that I sold a few years ago. Art Deco or Art Nouveau, doesn't really matter neither mirror is "period" and the lamp I'm keeping. The woman depicted on it does look more Art Nouveau in style but the lamp doesn't date to that period of time. Now about that tin box, anybody?...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread