Peddling my goods

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Hit a neighborhood sale today (I started there at 7:15, couldn't get out until 11, one sale after another for almost 4 hours... 120 sales advertised). Rather early I got to one where this guy and girl were looking at these REALLY nice guitars... Between and behind them there was a bag filled with Peddles. In a pause in their discussion of the guitars, I asked how much the peddles were.

The owner said, "All of them?"

I said, "Yes."

"$50"

I offered $40, the other guy chimed in that he would pay $50. I took out my fifty, gave it to the owner, and told the other guy that I thought he was rude for interrupting our deal. I scooped up the 8 peddles (I didn't take the time to look them up, It was a slam dunk), and walked away. The rude guy was pissed off, I care not... All peddles are listed on Amazon... $450 when they sell.

Post thought. I tell rude people that they are rude... I am 6'5" 235 pounds. That makes it easy to speak my mind. The guy came to me at another sale later, told me I was an ass and I should apologize to him... I looked at him, laughed, and left.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I have not had a good find this year. Usually I hit a good find every six months or so.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One quick question? Are you my brother? I'm 6'5 - 243 pounds. I will tell others to get bent when they are rude also!

One other question, how many yard sales do you go to and people ask if you use to play basketball??? Lol! [emoji459]

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasure bringing family together even long lost brothers..... I agree with speaking your mind. Good score too.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not had that happen to me, but I do sometimes visit with another customer on an item we are both looking at. A good example was a Harley Davidson jacket, good price but missing a couple of buttons. I visited with the other person where the seller can not hear me and told them, If you do not want the jacket I will buy it, but it is missing a couple of buttons. He checked it out and said thanks did not see that. He still bought the jacket but at a lower price. Why did I do that? Because others have pointed out stuff I missed on a item and really appreciated it. And I would have bought the jacket.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds more like you interrupted that guy's deal! And rude isn't the word I would use.....nickel and diming over $10 and you almost lost a $400 profit. I usually feel it's rude to interrupt another persons negotiation, but in this case all bets are off. If I were the seller, the other guy would have walked away with them, regardless if you were 4 or 7 feet tall!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that if I'm getting a deal that good, I don't want to lose it. I would have offered their asking price.

He was wrong for trying to jump in on a deal, but that wouldn't have happened if you had gone for the asking price in the first place...

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6' 5" 235, and 6' 5" 243. Haa! I've got 40+ pounds on both of ya!:laughing7: 6' 5" barefoot or with boots on? Who cares right?:laughing7:
What were the guitars? Pics? vintage pedals? Roland, Klon, Boss, .....

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
One quick question? Are you my brother? I'm 6'5 - 243 pounds. I will tell others to get bent when they are rude also!

One other question, how many yard sales do you go to and people ask if you use to play basketball??? Lol! [emoji459]

I tell them I'm too short for basketball, but I was nearly there as a Jockey.

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds more like you interrupted that guy's deal! And rude isn't the word I would use.....nickel and diming over $10 and you almost lost a $400 profit. I usually feel it's rude to interrupt another persons negotiation, but in this case all bets are off. If I were the seller, the other guy would have walked away with them, regardless if you were 4 or 7 feet tall!

They were talking to the owner about some Guitars he had. I waited until there was a lull in the conversation about the guitar to ask about the peddles. I do not think I interrupted anything.

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
6' 5" 235, and 6' 5" 243. Haa! I've got 40+ pounds on both of ya!:laughing7: 6' 5" barefoot or with boots on? Who cares right?:laughing7:
What were the guitars? Pics? vintage pedals? Roland, Klon, Boss, Roland.....

Lets see, there were several Boss, a couple of Logitech, A big horsey peddle, a mini amp with a stomp, a Grunge, and a bag to hold them all.

You all know I am the Local Olympic Expert, right, I also found 1000 Olympic pins. paid $50 for the lot. They'll make good traders. I need to break them out of their boxes, but they will be great in Rio.

Just sold a Boss mx2 for $35.99 plus shipping. That was one of the cheap ones.

Last edited:

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A thousand pins, Wow! All from one collection?

What have you found to be the best way to sell guitars? I have an Alvarez electric that I need to fix the jack and sell, but I'm thinking Ebay is probably not worth the shipping hassle on something that should be in the $150-$200 range.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@gravityrules, I've sold guitars and amps on Craigslist with very little hassle. The buyers that I have had know exactly what they want. I usually make the transaction in a public area like a Burger King.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The musical instrument action around here seems to have moved from craigslist to facebook buy/sell/trade groups. It is almost to the point where you can buy on CL and turn around and sell on facebook.

But the last musical thing I sold (concert bass drum) didn't sell on CL or FB, but on ebay with a local pickup only. Go figure.

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips, I barely have a FB presence but I will see what local buy/sell/trade groups are around. Is there a sense for the buyer that a FB seller is more 'known' than a CL seller?
I did sell a snare drum on CL, very easy sell but my price was pretty low.
I've never tried selling anything on Ebay with a local pickup only, that's a possibility as well.
There are several other sites somewhat like CL but none seem to have all that much listed. Has anyone had success with Ebay classified ads?

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Oh my! I am literally HALF of each of you! LOL! Now I guess you understand why I carry? I want to be able to protect myself if the need ever arises (and I truly hope it never does).
BTW, today I helped a lady with a jar, showing her the good things in it, and explaining why I wasn't buying it. We ended up exchanging numbers and will be getting together soon for her to look at my junk stuff I don't want or need. So you never know where a friendly word will get you, right?

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds. I'm 5'9" and 220lbs. I have no problems telling people off. Its not just size, confidence and how you act works too.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm definitely a short guy, but have told more than s few jerks off... Each time I was completely right but I still end up feeling bad about it. I'm too concerned with hurting others feelings more often than not...

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions