tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I swung by this coin shop that has a lot of jewelry the owner buys for scrap. I've founds some good pieces in all his stuff over time and he cares little on leaning anything about what he buys in his scrap racket, it's all melt to him. He just marks it up to folks like me. Most the silver jewelry isn't worth the price imo, but I look through it all for the sleepers. I spot this what looks like a Jensen brooch, but I've seen this very piece copied by the Mexican silversmith also and the quality couldn't hold a candle to the detail of the master Danish silversmith the Jensen makers did in the past. I look at the back and say how much? None of small silver and gold jewelry has a price and he puts each piece on his scale and gives his price. He put it on the scale and I didn't even bother to ask what it weighed. He said I could have it for twenty bucks, cash only. I just said I'll take it for the twenty.

Attachments

• jensen pin 1.jpg
    jensen pin 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 197
  • jensen pin 2.jpg
    jensen pin 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 207

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Dove brooch!! I have a small collection of Jensen but don't bother with ladies jewelry since its not something i would wear. However, i would NOT turn down a Jensen brooch for 20 bucks. The mark puts production at post 1945 to present. The earlier stuff was a bit easier to date since the logo changed about every 5-8 years.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He shoots... he SCORES... heh...
Prolly worth a few bucks Tamrock.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great save and well worth the trip!

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece by Georg Jensen! Love finding stuff that's signed by an artist that is desired. Congrats :)

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of the scrap gold, silver / coin shops resell the small pieces of silver jewelry over the counters. One coin shop I go to the fella buys old photo's, ephemera, military items and just about anything cool looking and old. These can be great places to check out for treasures. The folks that go in and sell the stuff like this Jensen piece are just looking to get a quick buck and being this shop will buy anything silver I'll bet he didn't pay much more then $6.00 for this. He didn't know what it was, other then it was silver and was happy to buy it at less then spot value. This guy made a good margin off of me in the sale. Being I know what to look for I'll make a lot more. These scrap buyers never take the time to research each piece of silver they buy. They do very well selling these small jewelry pieces over the counter. The big stuff all heads to the refiners as fast as it comes in. It's sad to think that some of those items were probably worth a lot more then the scrappers are getting out of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread