Crying Boy Painting - Need Help to Identify Artist

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up this painting in a box lot at a local auction house. I have no clue as to the artist, and certainly not the value. I can see that it has been professionally framed. Any ideas? Artslinger? ;-)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1443682100.328748.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1443682117.259321.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1443682131.627315.jpg

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for starting my day with a laugh, Sterling. :-) For those not familiar with the reference, here's the kid from The Grudge:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1443709283.445546.jpg

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up this painting in a box lot at a local auction house. I have no clue as to the artist, and certainly not the value. I can see that it has been professionally framed. Any ideas? Artslinger? ;-)
View attachment 1217582 View attachment 1217583 View attachment 1217584

First things first. It is not oil that we know. The next thing to do is determine if it's a poster print or original sketch/drawing. Do you have a loupe or magnifying glass? You will need it to look at the artwork closely, and look carefully to see if it has a very tiny dot pattern, or if the lines are straight. It is better if you Google "artwork dot pattern", or diff between print and original artwork. Dot patterns are an indication of mass production, unoriginal artwork, those you want to stay away from! :)

I like your painting it's very nice.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

RJA

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just doing a bit of tidying up on some older threads, mainly for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

Looks to be an amateur plagiarisation of a work titled “Vietnamese Child” by the Dutch artist Pieter Johannes Mak (1842-1929) with some alterations in the details. Definitely not his signature, shown below:

Mak.jpg

There seem to be multiple copies of it with Mak’s signature (presumably prints) with auction estimates up to about $50.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread