tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave $39.00 for this 8.5in x 8.5in x 4.0in hand painted spelter or white metal cast figure. I'm not so sure as to how old it is and what it is, other then maybe some kind of table tobacco stand? It needs some touch up on the paint. I did talk to a friend who told me of an art and painting restorer in the area and she said she just paid $150.00 to have a painting of her's restored. She sent some picture of this to the art restorer and they said they could touch this up very well and work by the hour, so that cost would need to be determined and I'm not sure if I want to do all that. Maybe I gave too much for it, but I thought it had a lot of charm and could turn a buck?

I can't find another one like it online to compare this one to, other then other cold paint spelter figures allot like it, but different subjects. There are no markings what so ever on it.

Maybe you know what I have there Diggum? Or any of you available for opinions.

What say you ???

Attachments

• sculpture 1.jpg
    sculpture 1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 119
  • sculpture 2.jpg
    sculpture 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 104
  • sculpture 3.jpg
    sculpture 3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 109

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it looks great the way it is . Touching up the paint might take away from the value .

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I didn't use the right key words in my search. It is non magnetic... I've always called this white metal, spelter, pot metal, soft metal. I know it has a low melting temp. Sure maybe I could get a hundred out of it as-is? I was thinking maybe more all nice and neat looking. I guess this restorer does pretty good work, but could put the overall cost at over a hundred or so. Missing the ash tray I see from the etsy example. I think I'll see about the touch up cost and just add that info to the listing when I put it up.

Thanks! All

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, it's in great condition for it's age. Original is better in this case. It's gotta be close to 100 years old. And your right, white metal, pot metal, spelter, it's all the same thing more or less. Maybe the one I found was listed incorrectly and it too was pot metal? At any rate, it's a great piece. It would be a keeper for me.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree as well with diggummup. I'd wipe the dust off carefully and that would be it for me. Keep it, or flip it for a decent price and let the final owner decide whether or not to restore it. I personally think it's good just as it sits!!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, it's in great condition for it's age. Original is better in this case. It's gotta be close to 100 years old. And your right, white metal, pot metal, spelter, it's all the same thing more or less. Maybe the one I found was listed incorrectly and it too was pot metal? At any rate, it's a great piece. It would be a keeper for me.
Around a 100 you think?. I was putting it in a range of late 20s to mid 30s. The hand painted details are very well done. They even painted each front teeth. No doubt they used some very small paint brushes.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with the Majority. Don't paint or touch that up. In general, if you do not KNOW you are going to improve something (for example, you go on the antique road show and they TELL you it will be improved by repairs" I wouldn't try to improve anything. Clean it, sell it, let the customer deal with it as THEY see fit.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This image or one very similar is portrayed on a few different smoking related items, including "John" Cuban Cigarros, which is similar (in colors) to the one I posted earlier,this pack dates to the 1930's.

$_35.JPG

Then there is this Johann Maresch ceramic humidor with the same colors as yours which dates a little earlier around the turn of the century or first decade.

00-01.jpg

I would date yours to around that same era.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't restore it ! I think its great the way it is and painting etc will bring the value down.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This image or one very similar is portrayed on a few different smoking related items, including "John" Cuban Cigarros, which is similar (in colors) to the one I posted earlier,this pack dates to the 1930's.

$_35.JPG

Then there is this Johann Maresch ceramic humidor with the same colors as yours which dates a little earlier around the turn of the century or first decade.

00-01.jpg

I would date yours to around that same era.
This is wonderful additional information there dig's. I wonder if this item was comitioned by this brand of smokes ?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread