Schoenhut dollhouse: Clean it, or leave it be?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I picked up an antique Schoenhut doll house over the weekend.

I am guessing, merely by style, that the dollhouse dates to the early 1900's, possibly as late as 1920. It is pressed paper/wood construction. The walls have a printed paper sheet over the top, and the roof appears to be painted.

It looks like it has sat in a very dusty area since 1920, and hasn't been cleaned since then. There is at least an inch of dust on the roof, maybe more.

The only way that I see to clean it would be to start wiping with a damp cloth. Because the roof is textured, I think it might take a full day to really clean the dirt and dust out of the grooves.

Clean it, or leave it be, and sell it as is?

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is paper/wood I would use a soft paint brush to dust it off. Water even a small amount may damage the paper.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Dry brush and MAYBE Vacuum (with a brush attachment). I wouldn't worry too much about the nooks and Crannies. I would even take before and after pictures for the sale. Let the new owners do what they will to it.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thanks for the replies!

My wife used a paint brush and a Q-tip. This removed 90% of the dirt. It looks right, and is very attractive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread