Small and Cheap

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't done much pickin' lately. Personal issues and lack of good opportunities to blame. However, the wife and I went to a yard sale last Saturday that turned out to be pretty good. Here is what we came home with:

IMG_0268.jpg

Sorry for the crappy picture. I was in a hurry. My wife found the perfumes and colognes and bought them for $0.25 each. They are all designer labels such as Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Oscar de la Renta, etc. The larger square one is Hermes. She thinks she can get about $10 each for them.

I paid $10 for four items: the round, Pyrex coffee pot, the purple bottle (which is embossed Horlick's Malted Milk, Racine, Wis), the Corning coffee pot (which has starburst designs on it) and the clear glass milk bottle (painted label Yoerg's Dairy). The coffee pots may be worth $20 each on a good day. The two bottles are hard to figure. There is a bunch of Horlick's stuff on eBay but I couldn't find one like this. There is a miniature purple Horlick's but this one is much bigger. I think the purple color is the result of long exposure to the sun but I could be wrong. Milk bottles like the Yoerg's are all over the place with some selling in the hundreds of dollars. I couldn't find another Yoerg's so who know what it might sell for.

The scepter with the skull and jester's cap was $10. Skull stuff is popular and with Halloween coming up and Mardi Gras just around the corner, who knows what it might go for. The fishing reel is a Penn Senator Model 113. I paid $20 for it. Penn Senators are all over the place price wise. I don't think this one is all that valuable so I may not make much money on it. The black plate is made by Couroc. Don't know why the center looks gold in the photo. It is actually black. Only paid $2 for it. It might bring $20. The little rectangular thing is a matchbox made out of wood in Germany. My wife bought it for $0.25 because she thought it was cute. No idea if it has any value.

I also did a little trash pickin' last week and got these:

IMG_0270.jpg

Somebody put these out by the side of the road for the trash man to pick up. I happened to drive by and grabbed them. They got rained on and the boxes got soaked but the slides inside stayed dry. I have four other carousels full of slides that aren't in the picture. These are 35mm travel slides from the 1960s and 70s. They are mostly Kodachromes. Whoever took these was a world traveller. The boxes are labeled with their travels to Russia, China, Italy, Turkey, Mexico, and the western US. I haven't looked at the individual slides yet but I'm hoping to find some pictures of airplanes and trains as these seem to sell best.

Attachments

• IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't looked very closely at the China slides yet. I did notice that they appear to be commercially produced (as opposed to personal photos). Knowing how paranoid communist regimes can be, my guess is the Chinese authorities aren't big on tourists with cameras taking snapshots of anything they like so, instead, they offer sets of slides with scenes that are approved by the government.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions