Help with closing this deal.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been buying on and off for the last three weeks jewelry from this lady I met at a yard sale. She has enough jewelry that I have not searched that I could fill my van probably two trips. Her concern is that her son is coming into town and she's afraid he's going to clean out her House and take a lot of her stuff to Goodwill because she's kind of a hoarder as well.

So long story short I've been going over there back-and-forth back-and-forth she's wanted to sell it but every time I get over there she changes her mind and lets me look through a little bit at a time.

Fast forward to today. Tomorrow morning I'm heading to her house she said she's finally came up with a number that sounds good in her head to purchase the rest of it. She wants me to come over at 9:30 in the morning but I have a feeling when I get there she's going to change her mind again. Should I just walk in and see what her number is and put the money on the table and say here you go? I'm not sure why I can't get this done and it's not even stuff she wears either it's just a mixture of stuff costume, vintage, gold, silver all unsearched but she can't do anything with it and her sons ready to get rid of everything..

Any of you veterans out there have any advice on sealing the deal?

I'm thinking about telling her if she changes her mind again that I'm done. I can't keep coming back over there and wasting gas and time I believe she just wants me to come over to talk to her I'm not really sure. It's stressful because I know there's a lot of really good stuff in there.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have the cash in your hand when she answers the door, and a bag(s) in the other to put the booty in. I use $50-bills wrapped around twenties. Good luck!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any chance I can metal detect her yard?

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take whatever cash you think the rest is worth. Say this is my offer for all you have left, take it or leave it. It sounds like she is dragging this out to get as much as she can out of you.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think sometimes hoarders have a hard time parting with their stuff even if they don't use it. I'd be honest with her and tell her "I know it's hard to part with your old stuff but I'm not going to keep coming over just to have you change your mind." It probably really is hard for her to part with. As far as the son goes, it really is no concern of his (unless her mind is gone completely and she is an invalid". People can decide to sell their stuff without their grown kids approval. Off the subject, when my dad died my mom sold a bunch of his stuff over about 3-4 years-boats, cars, guns etc. I was a poor senior in HS and in college for quite a few years following his death. It was hard for me to see the stuff go but I didn't have any money and she needed to sell the stuff to make some money. She did give me a .357 rifle and one of his necklaces and a few other things. Sorry to ramble.... Good luck!

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful! I have had a couple deals on a much smaller scale though, where "they were ready to sell." Before money changed hands, I would look through some of the bags and notice some of the better pieces were missing that I had clearly remembered being there. Once it was so blatant, I got up and walked out.

There was a family that I had done many deals with and thought we had a great business relationship going (mostly for scrap gold items). When the deal was made I would weigh the bag of jewelry I was to purchase and go to the bank, when I returned the bag of jewelry tended to be many grams underweight. It started with one or two grams short (I said nothing) it got worse! Finally on the last few deals it got to the point where their 14k suddenly turned into "gold filled" and worth .50 per gram to me. Players!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does her son know she's been selling to you?

He encourages it. I don't think he really wants to move anything either but he sick of all of her crap. I talked to her son on the phone for a while he said please take as much as you want! lol.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I guess I'll see what happens. I will know at 9:30 tomorrow if I'm coming home in a bad mood or coming home a happy man! It will probably be my score of the year or just another night going out with the guys to get wings for wing night. Either way I look forward to tomorrow and hope something good happens.

One other note this lady is a millionaire. My house would fit inside hers twice. She drives a Lexus SUV and has over 30 rental units. And tells me she has no money. That she needs to get the best offer she can. I feel her pain minus the money part... [emoji389][emoji389][emoji389][emoji389]

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When he decides to take stuff to Goodwill, offer to help with the use of your van. That'd be my suggestion. As far as the jewelry goes, if she gives you an acceptable price then throw the money at her as fast as you can. If she changes her mind again, deal with the son.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One word of advice...
MAke sure that the same load of stuff IS the same from visit to visit and that nothing "major" in the batch has been removed during your absence.

Pile gets smaller and price gets higher.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you I will let you all know how it goes. I'll find out in about two hours. This is the final day though if she changes her mind again I'm done. Focus my attention on other things and wish her luck.

Although this is really helped me with my anxiety because the first night I was really excited to get it, I could hardly sleep and then night after night after night it's like I don't even care. Like I want it but I'm not going to get my hopes up anymore because when I come home I'm all upset.

(but if it finally happens I'm going to take my kids out to Dairy Queen for ice cream to celebrate) seems like a good reason to go get ice cream when I'm supposed to be on a diet.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to say that if her son was ok with it, see if he could help encourage her to seal the deal and be done with it. Good Luck!

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Horders are hard to deal with. I once bought some Elvis pictures from a lady. Good price original with the do not copy stamped on the back. She sold them to me but after I gave her the money, she had a frown on her face. I asked her if she wanted them back, she said no but "I know I have this problem of letting things go, can I have one picture". I said no problem let her pick out the one she wanted and she was happy. Her way of dealing with her OCD. Based on that if I ever run across another horder I will let them pick out some things they think they want and buy the rest . Makes it better for them.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deal done! We sealed it with cash and I had to trim her palm trees on the way out. Which took two minutes because she only had two palm trees. It look like more when I was over there last time but she said three boxes were full of clothes. I think now though she finally trust me because she gave me full reign of her house to look through . And I talked to her son on the phone and we agreed not to take anything to Goodwill, that I would help her remove stuff from the house as needed.

So that cleared up a lot of the worries. She said she would call back in two weeks because she has another house we haven't looked through yet at all. But here is my project.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444746409.843129.jpg

And this one is right on top of one box I haven't gotten home yet

10k. But it is a good sign I hope! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444746478.504438.jpg

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great grabs and congrats on sealin the deal!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on what might be a great score! When you are done assessing the purchase, let us know a little something about how well you made out and post some pics of some of the nicer stuff. It sounds like you made a great prospect for many more purchases and some valuable free stuff that may have ended up at the Goodwill, so you will likely come out smelling like roses!

Frank

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worst purchase of my life... So many words come to mind.. Crap... Is not one of them... >€*^%?€*^#~|\.,!'

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Worst purchase of my life... So many words come to mind.. Crap... Is not one of them... >€*^%?€*^#~|\.,!'

Ugh, sorry buddy. Just motivation for the next one. There aren't too-too many boxes there though? You couldn't breeze through most of it in 12-20 minutes to try to see some quality? Maybe it wasn't a good place to wait around and look at stuff, I don't know. I hate those situations, so you have to take a gamble. None of my business, doesn't mean I won't ask what everyone wants to know--what you pay?!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread