Massive Lego Haul

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
The last sale I stopped at this morning had several plastic containers full of Legos with a sign that said fill a bag for $1. I asked for a price on all of them & they said $35. Even though I don't know squat about Legos I thought that would work & said ok. They wanted to keep the containers so while they were digging up something to put them in I spotted a Lego crane on another table. I asked if they would throw it in. They wouldn't go for it & wanted an extra $5. I ended up buying it for that. I think it will sell for enough to cover most of what I paid. Weighed it all when I got home. Ended up with just over 50 lbs not counting the crane.

I've got no idea where to start with this stuff. Turns out the crane is a crawler crane & looks 90+% complete. There are some mini figures, some kind of train set, motor looking things, boat hulls, etc. The train set was in a separate container but the rest is jumbled together. Unfortunately they didn't have any of the boxes or manuals. I know I'll make more if I can break it into sets. I just don't know where to start.

theegypt

Greenie
Dec 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you post a pic of the mini figs I can tell you what themes they are from. Also post a pic of the train, motor, boat etc and I can see if I can identify. Best way to do it would probably be to sell the crane as is, lot the mini figs together and sell them as a lot, then sell the bulk as a lot. 50 lbs of bulk would take you countless hours to wash, sort, build, etc. probably not worth the time. Definitely a great pick up.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mini Figures, that is where the money is on LEGOs. Find all the torso, legs, hands, hats, hair and weapons. Build as many complete people as you can. When I do it, since I don't know who is who I just make sure they are complete. Weapons and accessories, ie horses, parrots, things in that nature are another pile. Blocks in another pile. If some items are complete or almost complete be sure to take pictures of them before you break them down for shipping. Review ebay sold lego lots, legos etc see what others are doing what they are selling for how much. 50 lbs is a lot of LEGOs.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I feel like I bought a tar baby. The more time I spend the more money I can make.....but the less I'll make per hour. I spent an hour yesterday pulling out the bigger pieces. Looks like there might be a couple planes, 3 boat hulls, several vehicles(Lots of wheels), city construction pieces, & the list goes on. I plan on spending a couple hours this morning pulling all the mini figure pieces & grouping the rest into lots for auctions. Will post some pictures when I'm done with that. I also found a few mega block pieces yesterday along with plastic army men & a Nintendo DS Lite.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also found a few mega block pieces yesterday along with plastic army men & a Nintendo DS Lite.

Mega blocks, glad you brought that up. Each lego part is marked lego. I spend a lot of time making sure everything is LEGO. When I do my listing for the blocks, I do state there maybe a mega block or two in the lot. Also you can tell Mega block figures from LEGO. They don't fit each other and the mega blocks are cheaply made, after awhile you will be able to tell which is which by looking at them

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'm a little over an hour into the sort process. Thought I'd post a few pictures. The garbage bag has most of the train stuff. The big box is 17" x 13" & is filled a little over 10". That's a large flat rate box with all the grey pieces in it. Most of the mini figures are in pieces. I'm assuming the arms are at the bottom of the box with all the other tiny pieces.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have some great LEGOs there. Base plates (big flat ones) are always good to find. Yes, all the tiny piece tend to fall to the bottom. The crane I am not to sure about. Hope the pieces are marked LEGO not Mega blocks. OK found the crane on ebay. Looks good.

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much do you think this "little guy" is worth?? Thanks for any and all opinions!!:thumbsup: 003.JPG 005.JPG

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 154

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
I did a little searching and couldn't find him, but I'm not sure what he is? A motorcycle rider or something space related? Here is a good resource for mini-figures. You can do a topical search under the mini-figures category: BrickLink Reference Catalog - Minifigs

Legos are an easy sale if you group and price things correctly. Not only do kids love them, but there are some really serious adult builders. I have purchased used lego bulk lots before, typically paying around $30 - $40 dollars for a lot because of some father daughter building projects that required a lot of a specific size brick.

edit:
You could take a look at completed listings for 5 pound lots on eBay and see if you can mix and match in the same way. At 50 pounds, maybe you have $150 - $300 worth depending on desirability.

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks FC!! He has what looks like a badge on one side and a radio mike on the other....maybe a motorcycle cop??

Everester

Mar 8, 2014
Mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the look of him he is pieced together from multiple guys. The chest is from a police and the don't have red helmets. The grey band on the pants is a different color grey. Lego changed out its grey color about ten years ago so the legs are classic dark grey while the upper body grey is "bluish dark grey" and the color the currently used. None of the pieces from him are from rare figures.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Everester....I was checking out the link FC posted above, and noticed also, the police didn't have red helmets. Yes, I was also thinking maybe some urchin swapped things around on him to suit themselves. That's okay...he's doing a headstand right below my monitor....found him md'ing. I guess a guy never grows up...:headbang:

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped buying Legos years ago because there is always a 99% chance that there are Mega Blocks mixed in. But when you do score ALL Legos it can be a profitable haul....

giniro

Jan 14, 2013
Columbus, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a little over an hour into the sort process. Thought I'd post a few pictures. The garbage bag has most of the train stuff. The big box is 17" x 13" & is filled a little over 10". That's a large flat rate box with all the grey pieces in it. Most of the mini figures are in pieces. I'm assuming the arms are at the bottom of the box with all the other tiny pieces.

View attachment 1224313 View attachment 1224314 View attachment 1224315 View attachment 1224316 View attachment 1224317

The large blue boat hull in the first picture looks to be worth between $25-$50. The other 2 boat hulls look to be around $10-$20. Shoot the camel alone is about $10. You've got some good stuff outside the bulk value.

Some pieces may even have a number on them that you can look up on bricklink(Which FC-Treasure mentioned).

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Finally got to the bottom of the big box yesterday. There were almost enough Mega Blocks to fill a shoebox an inch deep. Most of the mini figures were in pieces. I've got no idea what pieces go together so I just assembled as many as I could. Ended up with 57 complete ones, another 20+ that are missing their hands, & several extra parts. There are a butt load of hats, guns, tools, etc. Will probably list all that as an auction.

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I scored 4 bins of Legos about 2 years ago. I sold the figures in lots of 20 with as many accessories my kids could put on them. I made lots of certain items like trees, flowers and bushes, Lots of animals. Lots of car parts etc.. I was able to make a Lot of misc. Star Wars figures. The lots sold well. I then sold piles of blocks and misc. pieces. I went to the post office and got a about 20 of there $12.65 flat rate shipping boxes. I filled a box, took a some photos of the box, dumped the box took more photos number the box and put them up for sale on Ebay. As I recall the sold for about $20 to $30 each, plus $12.65 shipping. I made sure in my ad I said that I was not a Lego expert, I will do my best to answer your questions.

Good Luck, The more you sort them the more you will make, I just did basic sorting and shipped them out.

Dad and Tanner

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your crane is a discontinued set from the Lego City theme, and complete, goes for around $75.
Lego Crane Construction City Crawler 7632 with Minifigs | eBay

Here is another link you may find helpful: Peeron? LEGO© Set Inventories It is a massive lego database, which gives free instructions for most lego sets. You can usually find a part number on a piece, enter it in, and it will list all the sets that have that part.

And $40 for all of that, alone as miscellaneous pieces, is a GREAT score!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread