Best night ever!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine going with a friend of yours to get chicken wings on wing night but they cancel. And you decide you've waited all Day for wings and you're going to go by yourself to get them. As you're waiting there for your food to come out to take home, a guy sits down next to you and the two of you can talk about anything. Out of anything in the world to talk about we talk about what he does for a living. And what he does for a hobby! And his hobby is what I do for a living!

He's probably got 20 years on me maybe 30. But the stories he had about things he found at yard sales, thrift store and fleamarket's, made it so worthwhile! He lives probably six hours north of me. We exchanged phone numbers But I'm hoping he calls because I'm going to give him a Griswold bolo oven I have in my garage. And I have his card so he invited me up to see his barn full of stuff if I ever make it to Jacksonville! Which I'm supposed to go up there in three weeks! Ironically he grew up 2 hours south of where I'm from originally.

To be honest spending time with him for the last 3 hours really filled a void of not spending time with my grandfather from when I moved away from home and he passed shortly after.

I just wanted to share, a better unexpected moment!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! Sometimes we forget life is about the people and not stuff!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have met some really nice people while looking for permissions or chatting to the occasional bar or restaurant patron. It's an amazing feeling when you find an individual that shares your same passions/hobbies and can get engrossed in the exchange of ideas, techniques, and other related topics.

JimDon's post is on point.

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear ya. I have an older picker-mentor friend in my life and he has told me that he enjoys spending time with me more than with his own kids. Crazy huh? But flattering...

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive hit antique auctions for yrs, and always listened and watched what the "older group" was saying and doing. Its a great way to learn :icon_thumleft:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A new best friend that is what I think this hobby, the entire treasure hunting in any form, hobby is actually all about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread