Always Buy This...

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been building up a list of Always Buys. That is Brands that you ALWAYS buy at garage sales (assuming Garage sale based prices). Easiest on the list would be Tiffany & co. If you see ANYTHING in the blue box, in the blue suede bag, or just marked Tiffany, save yourself time. Don't even look it up. If the price is ANYWHERE near silver value, just buy it.

Here is the list I have so far:

Tiffany (of course)
Bang and Olufsen
Bose
Lalique
baccarat
Waterford (to a much lesser extent).
WEN (hair products, but only if new... I just bought 96 oz. of Clensing Conditioner. 3 bottles of 32oz. Ebay price $80 per bottle.)

Any more additions would be appreciated.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Texas Instruments GRAPHING Calculators 83-85 models
Longchamp (it's a jumping horse emblem on purses)
Miriam Haskell costume jewelry
Bulova Accutron

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Jay Sharp" stamped on the head/edge if work area of Old Blacksmith/Farrier hammers, Blacksmith tongs, or forged steel punches with the name . ($4 hammer for $375.) Shayne Carter: Jay Sharp

Any "Knipex" hand tools (Very high end: easy to I.D. because of their trademark color) Knipex Wire Strippers

Keen Kutter stamped on old hand tools or about anything is quality and highly collectible: Real Or Repro ~ Identifying Fakes and Reproductions

Belknap Bluegrass same type quality and collectability: Went out of business in the 1950's
http://www.hangoutstorage.com/banjo...rchived/files/belknap-history-54179132014.pdf

Check out other Treasure net listings with more items to look for, too.

Bill

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cutco knives!!!! always a homerun

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Texas Instruments GRAPHING Calculators 83-85 models

I should have been more clear. If I see anything Tiffany, it is a lock buy. Cutco Knifes? Lock. TI Calculators? not a lock, they have to be a certain model or design or something. I appreciate the entry, I buy TI83's when I can find them, but that's not what I am looking for here. Thanks for the others, I hadn't heard of Longchamp or Miriam haskell (out of my field of interest).

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last 6 items I have seen have been fakes.
It has been a long time since I have seen any real T&C.
T&C is the most faked name in the world.
There are 100 fakes to every real out there.
And I think that is a understatement.
No offense Deja. :)

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and as far as knives go...
Biggest names and best selling ... Case... Schrade.
Off the wall stuff in knives is always good...
Oh yeah look for MArbles.

Last edited:

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and as far as knives go...
Biggest names and best selling ... Case... Schrade.
Off the wall stuff in knives is always good...
Oh yeah look for MArbles.

I bought 2 Marbles recently.
Rare. both. One is worth 500 - 750 paid $1
Other even rarer... paid 5.

Could you show pics of them or ones like them?
Thanks,
Bill

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole box- all the same items- if you're interested and want to buy one item and they have 20 ask them how much they want for all of them. This has worked very well with me for knee braces, flea repellent for dogs, and recently digital cameras.

Same thing goes for jewelry, if they have a jewelry box or a bag full of jewelry instead of taking out the Gold and staring at it, ask them how much they want for the whole jewelry box. It's normally like five bucks!

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Filson (hunting clothes and wool garments)
Barbour (Hunting turned luxury outerwear)
Vineyard Vines (preppy new england clothing & accessories)
Marley Hodgson/Ghurka (leather goods)
Snap On (tools or apparel, even a single beat up screwdriver can be worth $20)
Burberry (anything with their iconic tartan)

These are a few on my ALWAYS buy list. I think this thread is a good idea, but as dejapooh said we should limit it to items that are valuable 99% of the time. For example, I would disagree with stanley planes as stated above, a used workhorse stanley no 2 plane is worth 10-20 dollars on ebay in my experience, which if it costs $5 at a yard sale is not worth it. I would also disagree with givenchy (and many other designers, YSL, Coach, Dior, and others), unfortunately with many designer brands the iconic items sell for crazy amounts, the rest is hardly worth your time. While a classic coach bag is a great score, a men's coach dress shirt will barely sell for $10. Same goes for the other brands I mentioned, there are only certain items that will be valuable, the rest are average at best, which means if you see the label at a thrift store you should definitely research before buying.

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few of my buy it on sight names:
Cartier
Wusthof
Jaeger-Lecoultre
ST Dupont
Dunhill
Ferragamo
Klipsch

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"BALTIMORE" For example, I would disagree with stanley planes as stated above, a used workhorse stanley no 2 plane is worth 10-20 dollars on ebay in my experience, which if it costs $5 at a yard sale is not worth it.

Your "No. 2 plane" might be just an accidental typo, but here's what I've learned. While a rare Stanley No. 1 is worth between $600-$1,200, and in very short supply, the No. 2 is next in the order. Because most can't afford such prices for a single No. 1 hand plane, the No. 2 Stanley/Bailey "is the nearest thing to it". And because of that, the No.2 still sells between $150 and $250... The Stanley No. 4 or No. 5 are the general workhorse finds and worth about what you said.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

One detail: There is a Stanley/Bailey No. 5-1/2 .. Then, there's the Stanley No. 5-1/4 that was sold with a smooth or (fluked) corrugated on their bottom sole plates. One of those two types actually has less number made than the Stanley No. 1, but still isn't the "Holy Grail" like the No. 1 is. I make money on old hand planes by buying them for $5-$10, clean them and sell them at my garage sales for $20-$30, depending on condition. Their great money makers for me when I can double, triple or quadruple my investment-seed money......

Last edited:

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant show ya the pics of the ones I bought...
Gone.
Sold em to buddy before I got home for a good deal.
One was actually a rare safety hatchet by Marbles.

I normally buy small folding pocket knives and multi tools.
And I don't buy em unless they are really old...
Or really worth something.

I am a antique / vintage jewelry guy.
25 years +

I do not own or collect knives... only buy and flip occasionally when I see a good deal.
I use to sorta collect diving knives because I used them in my line of work...
But have since sold them off.

Was it like this
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445572808.360597.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445572827.799506.jpg

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"BALTIMORE" For example, I would disagree with stanley planes as stated above, a used workhorse stanley no 2 plane is worth 10-20 dollars on ebay in my experience, which if it costs $5 at a yard sale is not worth it.

Your "No. 2 plane" might be just an accidental typo, but here's what I've learned. While a rare Stanley No. 1 is worth between $600-$1,200, and in very short supply, the No. 2 is next in the order. Because most can't afford such prices for a single No. 1 hand plane, the No. 2 Stanley/Bailey "is the nearest thing to it". And because of that, the No.2 still sells between $150 and $250... The Stanley No. 4 or No. 5 are the general workhorse finds and worth about what you said.

The Superior Works - Patrick's Blood & Gore: Preface

One detail: There is a Stanley/Bailey No. 5-1/2 .. Then, there's the Stanley No. 5-1/4 that was sold with a smooth or (fluked) corrugated on their bottom sole plates. One of those two types actually has less number made than the Stanley No. 1, but still isn't the "Holy Grail" like the No. 1 is. I make money on old hand planes by buying them for $5-$10, clean them and sell them at my garage sales for $20-$30, depending on condition. Their great money makers for me when I can double, triple or quadruple my investment-seed money......

Good points all around. Yes, I must have forgotten the number of the common ones I've sold, the most valuable plane I've ever sold was a no. 7. most of the ones I've found have been common and beat up, which when sold on ebay bring very little. If you have a system in place for refurbishing them then I can definitely see them being profitable. I would still say that for the common ebayer with no tool restoring skills a well worn stanley plane might not be a good buy without a little research first.

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
Good thread!

I always look for

Nintendo and sega

These brands almost always do well (wii stuff not as much)

Cartier has made me a lot of money as well!

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Good thread!

I always look for

Nintendo and sega

These brands almost always do well (wii stuff not as much)

Cartier has made me a lot of money as well!

I do well with video games in General, but you need to be careful. Only about 1 in 10 NES cartridges are worth going after. Only about 1 in 40 Playstation, PS 2, PS 3 games are worth going after. Sega, Nintendo, play station and so on are NOT sure fire buys.

Side note. I do really well with NES cartridges and Play Station games on Amazon. Higher prices (higher fees, too). It's really easy to list 40 or 50 games, Put them in a corner and watch them fly out, one at a time, 20 to 30 a week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread