Why I love Tnet ...

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Again, I have no idea where to put this.

I have learned so much this past week alone from these forums. Who knew that watch movements have little codes that tell if they are awesome or not? Or that silk ties are good finds? Or that holiday items are hot stuff? ($500 for a box of old lights?) Or that junky plastic necklaces are rare Bakelite? (OK, that I didn't learn here, but I shared it.)

I have learned so much from y'all who share your finds and explain why they are great finds. (BTW, I started looking at the fishing stuff, but truthfully, I am so far out of my league here.) Wheat pennies, little toys, Lego people, there is just an incredible wealth of information here that people are so generous to share.

Just wanted to say Thanks!

~ Leah

S

stefen

You hit it on the head...

When you have a cross-section of people from every walk of life, trade or profession, any item is bound to be recognized by the diversity.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thread. I have learned much from many here and continue to do so. Happy Halloween and good luck in your hunt for treasures.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DItto, Tnet is an awesome supportive community. I to have learned a lot form reading posts on Tnet, and if you can't find time to get out and pursue the hobby at least you can look and drool over other members finds.

Cheers :occasion14:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silk ties:dontknow: I've seen em, but have never looked into the value of any. I better do that, as I don't believe they're all that rare to come by. Thrift stores sell em pretty cheap if I recall? Thanks for the tip. Be cheap to ship anywhere in the world.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silk ties:dontknow: I've seen em, but have never looked into the value of any. I better do that, as I don't believe they're all that rare to come by. Thrift stores sell em pretty cheap if I recall? Thanks for the tip. Be cheap to ship anywhere in the world.:thumbsup:

Look at the sold values on ebay. Not all silk ties are worth the time, just certain makers. Some of the better brands to look for are Hermes, Burberry, Kiton, Tom Ford, Louis Vuittons, Zegna, and others.

Last edited:

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Loco, I agree, if I don't have time to post I definitely still have time to lurk and drool.

chiggermagnet

Sep 9, 2012
Southern Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys, this thread caught my eye. Mom had a collection of costume jewelry. Some pieces are "vintage" and signed. Some look just like plastic to me. I just couldn't toss anything out. What is Bakelite???

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Think of the first version of epoxy or plastic. It had to be baked to set. Has a unique faint odor when warmed. You rub the item to warm it and smell it to see if it has that unique smell. You can also try using a heated pin point in an unobtrusive spot to see if it is a fake. Try looking up Ebay's fake section to find out more about checking for bakelite. Some bakelite can be worth a lot and it is highly collectible. Also, celluloid from that era I've seen misidentified as bakelite.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys, this thread caught my eye. Mom had a collection of costume jewelry. Some pieces are "vintage" and signed. Some look just like plastic to me. I just couldn't toss anything out. What is Bakelite???

I've learned a lot of wonderful things on this forum and by watching other people's actions at garage sales. It seems that each sale has it's own personality and a few have "teachable moments"....

Another name that looks like Bakelite is "Catalin". And one way to check to see if it is real, is to taste it by placing your tongue for something of a "vinegar" taste, some people say.... I was at a rather junky and dirty garage sale where some old Bakelite/Plastic bangle bracelets were laying on a table. A rather rough looking older guy in his late 50's picked one of them up and LICKED IT as he said, "Hmmm, I wonder if this is Bakelite?????....

So, just remember, before you test your Bakelite/Catlin jewelry-find with YOUR tongue, someone else may have already TESTED IT with theirs........:tongue3:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalin

Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a much easier test, using semichrome. Look it up. Rub it on. If it turns yellow, you have bakelite. If it stays pink, you don't.
This doesn't work on black.
Bakelite is lightweight and has no seam. Hth.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just looked up recent sold of bakelite and WOW! some are really going for a lot of money. I just can't trust my instincts about that stuff, so until that improves I'll stay away from buying any of that stuff unless it looks a possible maybe for dirt cheap. So far I've never seen anything that looks like the high sellers you see on eBay, so the stuff has got to be rare to come by.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread