Thought I bought a tacklebox!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was at a house today, a friend of mine cleans out foreclosures and this was in his bedroom of whoever he was cleaning out. he called and asked if I wanted it. I said sure brought it home.. I'm going to let the bottom of it air out it got a little wet inside but I think it can probably be OK. My mom is coming down in a couple months and I think we're going to restore it together as a project, because I think it's pretty stinking cool!

All the drawers are here. There's some staining on the top but it's almost rubs off with a tissue probably leave the handle original and see if we can't clean up a little bit! The name on it is H. Gerscher and sons. Number model 042, I love it has a bunch of fishing stuff inside of it too!

I have to do some research and see what I can do about the bottom as far as letting the wood air out it's not moldy inside probably was just sitting in the garage or something.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446579845.527301.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446579871.521474.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446579924.419415.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446579960.619524.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446579989.352774.jpg

Across the front door one of the pieces did come off but that's an easy fix!

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jesus, was it packed full of loose, VVS diamonds too? That is a killer find. Gerstners are very desirable and fetch a pretty penny if you decide to sell. The damage/repair won't hurt the value that much because condition looks really good otherwise.

There is a lot of info out there to help date them but here are some things to look for. Check all of the drawer backs to see if they are numbered in pencil, 1-10. Those will be the originals since they are fitted at the factory. A replacement might have a number but it won't follow the sequence. If they have zinc/steel bottoms, its around the 1940s but it looks a bit newer. The hardware is another clue but that's a bit harder to tell. Gerstner will "date" your box within 10 years for a fee. You can get pretty close if you ask enough questions and do some looking. The can also repair the leather handle but yours looks fine.

You are missing the diamond shaped mirror on the inside of the top lid. The felt also appears to be replaced but it could just be in the upper storage compartment. I would look for a mirror on ebay so its complete

One more thing, the box you have isn't made of oak. It appears to either be Walnut or Mahogany which will also up the price since these were premium woods. My first Gerstner ( early 1940's 052) was Walnut and looked really good with just a cleaning and re-felting. The girlfriends mother does quilting so i provided accurate measurements and she cut me very precise, replacement pieces to refresh the soiled and oily felt in mine. That alone made a huge difference.

If you and Mom want to refinish it as a project, i would suggest using some Howards Restor-a-Finish in Walnut. Don't strip it because you will never get that color/sheen again! The Howard's stuff wipes on and will hide blemishes quickly. The felt looks good but if its bubbling, i would make that the "restoration project", and not the woodwork. Its easier to accomplish with minimal effort. If its goes south, you can just try again. Not so much with the stripping/staining. Just remember to use 100% acid free wool and not a synthetic blend. They can off gas and damage delicate tooling that these boxes are designed to hold. A pool table shop will have some and (1) yard should be more then enough if you use a roller cutter and measurement board.

I use mine for my pocket watch collection. You could store all of you unique and rare jewelry in one. Other guys i know store pocket knives in theirs.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome score, I am looking for one of those to store my best finds in. From what I recall it is a machinist tool box. Felt lined to hold calipers, gages and such.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much I tried some sandpaper a little bit on one of the hinges and it cleaned up nice and very little effort. I don't know if that's the right thing to use or not but, I just did a small sample area see how it looked underneath and it's just light surface rust really.

I don't think any of the Luehrs inside of it or anything special. I didn't really look through it all that much I just wanted to see what network needed to be done to it and I had to clean out my garage in order to even be able to see it I had so much stuff piled in there. And looks like he used to make knives as well learn a whole bunch of knife parts in there. Over all the felt is in pretty good condition and then one drawer needs a wall put back on it.

I will check out that stuff you mentioned it sounds way easier to use that and actually stripped away anyways so I'm down for that. And overall it's not that bad it just has some water damage on the bottom of it. I'm not going to do anything with it right now I will call my uncle later he's a professional woodworker so he should know if I sent him some pictures. I don't think replacing the bottom of it as an option because it's all dovetail but I'm not hundred percent sure either.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much I tried some sandpaper a little bit on one of the hinges and it cleaned up nice and very little effort. I don't know if that's the right thing to use or not but, I just did a small sample area see how it looked underneath and it's just light surface rust really.

I don't think any of the Luehrs inside of it or anything special. I didn't really look through it all that much I just wanted to see what network needed to be done to it and I had to clean out my garage in order to even be able to see it I had so much stuff piled in there. And looks like he used to make knives as well learn a whole bunch of knife parts in there. Over all the felt is in pretty good condition and then one drawer needs a wall put back on it.

I will check out that stuff you mentioned it sounds way easier to use that and actually stripped away anyways so I'm down for that. And overall it's not that bad it just has some water damage on the bottom of it. I'm not going to do anything with it right now I will call my uncle later he's a professional woodworker so he should know if I sent him some pictures. I don't think replacing the bottom of it as an option because it's all dovetail but I'm not hundred percent sure either.

The hinges are chrome plated so your best method of removing rust is #0000 steel wool w/ liquid Turtle Wax auto polish or small wire brushes. Steel bristles for the stubborn rust, brass bristle for light rust. The chrome is hard enough to stand up to the abuse of the wire brushes/steel wool but sandpaper will scratch it! I've been removing rust off chrome for a long time and these will work. You would be surprised at how rusty a bike rim can be and still look like new when cleaned with the above method.

Stripping one of these boxes is a serious chore. I have had them in rough shape and i still refuse to do it because of the labor involved. Original finish, even beat up, goes a long way in collectability standards and its hard to duplicate it once its gone. Remember, these companies have been applying finishes for 75 years so they have the methods down pat. Getting it back to original on your first try isn't gonna happen and i would imagine you plan on selling it.

Howard's can always be found at antique stores or decent hardware stores.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I have a baby sleeping on me then I'm off to Home Depot to get the steel wool. I want to start on it some tonight..

I'm glad I posted this, I wanted to used a dremel..

Anything to get the water out of the wood faster? Would a heat gun on low help? Or warp it more?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome score, I am looking for one of those to store my best finds in. From what I recall it is a machinist tool box. Felt lined to hold calipers, gages and such.

Thanks! Under the felt, the bottom of the boxes or shelves are metal. It's pretty neat!

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
no heat gun, a fan instead. Try putting it in a sealed trash bag with an open bag of rice. Just don't spill the rice. If you were local I could have given you a couple 2 lb bags of silicon gel drying beads. Came with my house.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no heat gun, a fan instead. Try putting it in a sealed trash bag with an open bag of rice. Just don't spill the rice. If you were local I could have given you a couple 2 lb bags of silicon gel drying beads. Came with my house.

I talked to my aunt and she suggested putting water on it and a wet cloth and steaming it with a hair dryer. It's on the inside of the box I'm going to take the shelves out tomorrow and see exactly what I'm looking at. I believe there is a thinner layer almost like balsa wood and then the mahogany underneath so this may have just been glued down on top of it. It might actually even come out of there without any problems. I'll see if I have enough light to take a picture of it tonight but may have to wait until tomorrow.

Meanwhile I bought all the other stuff to start working on the rust. Also the stain. Have $68 invested in it so far...

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to share some of the stuff that's inside of this. Some of it I have no idea what it is but there's a box of fishing pole eyes but they'll have glass inserts in them or some of them do. Either red glass or Amber I've never seen them before. And then there is a fishing Luehr that says Alaska hooker! Lol.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446603903.493063.jpg

Some old stamps, one says Cadillac, some copper things and a depth plug?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446604023.093884.jpg
Some other fishing stuff I think.. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446604098.424274.jpg

And I believe some molds for making knives.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446604138.656410.jpg

Here are some pictures of the inside. I think I can pry this bottom layer right out and replace it?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446604247.171996.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446604276.158374.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446604299.356702.jpg

By the way thank you everybody for your help!

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of those! Got it at a yardsale packed with tools for $25, they guy said "it's probably worth $50" but took my money anyways. Mine even has the original key! Awesome find, even if you put a bunch of money into it it'll be worth keeping a beautiful old object in use.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or should I cut my losses because the bottom of it has silver fish inside of it?

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could see what Gerstner will charge to fix it. I think they do repairs of the sort and it will be the best way to keep the value of the chest, post structural repairs

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
i see a thil type balsa wood bobber often used with light biting fish like trout --some one was salmon fishing --" Alaska hooker " I like fishing stuff--myself ---what is the odd looking white mouse looking thing lure ? with the black wings ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could see what Gerstner will charge to fix it. I think they do repairs of the sort and it will be the best way to keep the value of the chest, post structural repairs

I will call them and see what they say. Maybe I can just order a bottom replacement hopeful thinking maybe. I'm kind of excited I would like to actually try to restore it with my mom. If it doesn't come out perfect well, I'll live.. $1000-$1500 to restore is a lot! [emoji389][emoji389][emoji389][emoji389]

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will call them and see what they say. Maybe I can just order a bottom replacement hopeful thinking maybe. I'm kind of excited I would like to actually try to restore it with my mom. If it doesn't come out perfect well, I'll live.. $1000-$1500 to restore is a lot! [emoji389][emoji389][emoji389][emoji389]

Yes, they think quite highly of themselves and their prices reflect that, especially when the box is worth about 400.00 You are better off doing the restor a finish/new felt and leave the bottom alone for now. The mirror is available from Gerstner for 25.00 so that would be a cheap fix to make it complete.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been emailing back-and-forth with the owner and he put me on the some forum for the boxes. So we'll go from there I guess.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought another one of these boxes today. Way nicer condition. The other one I took the bottom out completely because of the silverfish but I now have a second one.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Vintage Machinist tool box finds have always been very collectible. I own a Machine shop and most of our older employees have the nice older wooden boxes. Even in the tough work environment, they hold-up pretty well (condition-wise). My shops over 60 years old and is still in the same original location, so there are many collectible items around.

Nice find.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread