Quick funny story-

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During my community sales I attended this weekend I found one lady who had a bunch of sterling silver jewelry. She got to talking that she sold her store in downtown New York City and wanted to move down here. To SW. Florida. She had some of her silver jewelry leftover and she was looking to sell it.

I was interested in buying everything she had. A couple hundred dollars I would think maybe 1000 at most but she had some stuff that were signed, and some that were just really good pieces. So to see where she's at at prices I picked out eight bracelets they came to a total of 100 g maybe 120 g at max.

Pulls out her scale it was 105 g of silver. She opens up this little book she has reads over it comes back and says $700! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji33][emoji33]

$7/gram? Everything was in plastic baggies. I said I could maybe pay at Max a dollar gram. But seven dollars per gram? She would have to go back to New York City to sell it for that price. Three of the bracelets I've had in the past and sold them for $60 each.

I said have a good day and walked on. She was trying to be high-end retail in the middle of the yard sale. None of the sign stuff was anything more than 40 or $50 items. I figured on my end resale was about $200-260. One bracelet was 23 grams she quoted me $380!

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people at yard sale do not know what their items are worth and over charge. Great story.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
People who want retail at a garage sale... Just like people who print out an Ebay or Amazon page on EVERYTHING at their garage sale and ask you to pay $3 MORE than amazon price, because you can have it now, and you don't have to pay for shipping...

Thanks... BYE!

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of the time a guy was selling his brothers star wars collection. Nothing great just a lot of them from Walmart. I asked how much he wanted and asked me to make an offer. I gave a low ball offer to see where he was at. Well long story short he wanted $1200 for the lot. He was looking to get back the money his brother spent. Thanks but no thanks and walked away.

ghost of scrounger

Jan 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually you can't deal with a pro. Gotta buy from people who
Aren't experts on the items u want.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and I hate when that happens! I sell a fair amount of vintage sterling at my yard sales. I figure out the weight and calculate how much if scraped then do some research on maker and date. If something is going online somewhere for $50 and I can scrap it for $10, then I'll ask $25- $35ish for it. Depending on the item. Knowing someone will want to wheel and deal a bit. I know I've sold to dealers who will flip it down the road and I'm totally fine with that! I've made money. They make money and all is well in the world!! [emoji3].

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
That's funny, told her to go back to ny to get that price.
The ts day had eBay print outs. Good luck with all that!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have asked her if she wanted to buy some!

I probably would have laughed in her face and handed it back to her as if it were a fragile newborn baby. I mean silver is under $15 an ounce nowadays. That translates to .44 a gram for sterling scrap prices. I understand it's jewelry and that usually commands a premium over scrap but $7 is plain crazy. Some people are just out of touch with reality.

BTW- I can buy sterling jewelry on ebay for scrap prices or barely over scrap without much trouble, I have purchased many over the last few months.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. $7.00 a gram is nuts!! Even if they are nice pieces, that's more than a jewelry store mark up for most sterling. Some people suck at research too!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread