Would you ever offer higher over someone else?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there's been a couple topics about this or how it's the wrong thing to do but is there ever a time that it would be OK to over quote someone else's price?

Reason I ask and it wasn't over being greedy but we stop at estate sale and there is a guy that drags out a stoneware pot with a lid on it in a box. One of the antique ones and the blue writing on the front of it and the owner says let's pull it out of the box and take a look at it. The guy who found it says I'll give you $25 if you don't pull it out of the box just to buy it as is!

Now I have not bought anything like this before but this particular piece was big enough that my four-year-old daughter could stand inside of it!

The owner said it's been in the box for probably 30 years. Been in her family since at least her great-grandmother. I did not say anything. I just stood there and watched. I wanted to say so bad... I'll give you hundred bucks for it. But I thought of everybody on this thread and wanted to ask what you would do in a situation like this?

Here is some examples but this one was bigger with a lid.

Front Stamp Red Wing Stoneware Salt Glaze 5 Gallon Crock with BIG LEAF

Red Wing Stoneware 3 Gallon Transition Elephant Ear Churn Albany Slip Interior

Red Wing Stoneware Small Pantry Jar with Rare Small Wing++Mint

I'm not going to lose sleep over it but just wanted to hear some input.

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Red wing stoneware is crazy popular up here in ND and MN, I would have at least asked to have them take it out of the box. That person who said $25 was being greedy IMO and obviously knew there was a great piece in there. Heck just the lids can sell for hundreds if in nice shape.
I would have spoken up, but I may be in the minority here.

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did they except the $25

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Red-Wing-5-Gallon-Crock-Salt-Glaze-Red-Wing-Union-Stoneware-Co-Minn-/361350184581?hash=item5422263e85:g:xxoAAOSw3ydVtTSb

This one sold for $100. Its hard to know without seeing the exact one. Most of the ones I have encountered have cracks or chips. I think $25 was a decent offer in general terms. The odds that it was going to be a very valuable one are slim. Its probably more than I would have offered without pulling it out of the box. Its not something you want to pay to ship. Give him some credit for finding it. Its also one of those things you can go along time without seeing and suddenly you will run into a bunch of them.

The other day. I pulled out a spelt art deco lamp underneath a pile in the garage the estate company hadn't bothered to dig through. I then found the matching end of day glass shade in another part of the house but I had payed for the base before I left the garage. Suddenly the price of the shade seems more valuable to them and I'm trying to negotiate the shade down and some lady is offering to buy it if I don't. I'm a pretty big guy and have never had anyone try this before. To the estate company's credit they explained I had already bought the base.

Its very annoying and people should mind their own business. I would say 9 times out of 10 the person with the higher offer would have never seen it if it wasn't for the first person looking at it. If someone finds something I want I try to show no interest at all and just hope they put it back down.

Last edited:

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with dejapooh. Making a higher offer is fine at an auction but not at a sale. Of course, if the seller doesn't take the offer and the prospective buyer walks, then by all means, jump right in with a better offer.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Tallone, that is how I got a great Tiffany ring and wrist band. Gt he seller wanted $20 each. Buyer wanted $20 for both. As soon as she pit it down, I asked she would take $30... Sold. Put it down, you are out!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with dejapooh. Making a higher offer is fine at an auction but not at a sale. Of course, if the seller doesn't take the offer and the prospective buyer walks, then by all means, jump right in with a better offer.

Looking back, i'm glad I didn't say anything. Because I don't know he probably had an easier way to sell it, maybe a store or had an antique booth which I don't. It was very tempting though.

i know it's not the right thing to do. Just being in that situation, is interesting to say the least. I've gotten a lot of good deals in the past so I think the only thing I would stand up for and say something is if the buyer was being a complete jerk and being rude then I think I would enjoy piping in.

Have a good day and happy hunting!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Dumpsterdiver, I tend to call rude people out. "My, aren't you a rude little person. Please wait your turn. If I don't buy it, you can pay as much as you want."

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate it when it is done to me. BUT, if a buyer is obviously low balling someone on something and the seller will be ripped off, Id probably say something. Ive had to restrain myself several times to not jump over someone on something. ITs hard to watch something youd pay more for go to someone else. But, I think its more than rude when someone over runs me with a higher offer. This happened to me a few months ago and to the sellers credit, they told the guy that they were dealing with me first on the item.

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
When I ran into that at a swap meet I mentioned I would like to talk with the seller if the deal falls through, then I walked far enough away to let them conclude their deal. I never mention I am interested in what was being sold. However, if the deal had fallen through and someone else tried to step in before I did then I can claim I was next.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was one time i was at a sale and was having a friendly conversation with a seller. A buyer came up with something so I moved away (behind the buyer) He offered a lowball price on something and the seller was considering it and almost ready to say OK. I knew it was worth more so I (behind the buyer) held up two hands and flashed $15. the seller picked up on that hand countered. I think they met at around $10

I was not trying to buy but just helping the seller make a little more $$

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
If something has a price tag, and only if it has a price tag, if someone tries to negotiate the price down while I'm standing there I will say to the other buyer: "I'd buy that for the asking price. You asked first, you get first shot at it, but the seller should know I'll to pay what she's asking." Of course although I'm speaking to the other buyer, the seller can plainly hear what I'm saying.
I only did that one time - for a Swiss Army watch. Great condition, dead battery (I assumed). She was selling for $5, he offered $2.50.
He declined to pay $5. so I did. Then I bought a watch battery changing kit and a battery, and installed it. Sold it and still turned a profit on all expenses, and now I know how to change watch batteries. [It's easy, with the right tools.]

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and now I know how to change watch batteries. [It's easy, with the right tools.]
Yes get the right tools. A small screwdriver will scratch the back as it slips off the cover and puts a gash in the palm of your hand.
I now have a spanner just for watch covers. I can still remember the pain ;(

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It definitely hurts not to offer more than what was already offered. The point here is that someone else found it first, it was their find, their lucky day, but if no deal, and as soon as he/she puts it down and walks away, all bets and niceness are/is off! :-) My philosophy is get there first and get there early. There will be a time when you can't due to multiple sales (community, etc), by by all means do a quick thorough search and move on! You did the right thing, your day, and everybody's day will come, but you have to meet opportunity 3/4 of the way there! Opportunity needs to know that you mean business! :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread