Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think of that all the time.
Not only that...
I think of all the times when I first started and some of the sales I walked through looking at piles of stuff that looked good but had no interest at the time.

And I think... sheesh how much great stuff I musta passed up.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started to buy sterling in the seventies and on average paying $0.25 an ounce. Still have the hoard. Should have bought Apple stock and other tech and bio tech stocks back then. And start running like Forrest Gump.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick story...
I was living aboard one of the coolest boats ever at the time...
I get a call from a guy who needed someone to watch his shop for a few hours...
I roll out of a bed that Marylyn Monroe had slept in over 30 years earlier...
And drag my arse to go help this guy out...
Anyway...
On the way to the guys shop I see a guy staking a sign...
I pull over and yell out "hey your sale open" ?
He says yes and points that it is down the street...
I find it and get out... I am first guy there...
I look and see an old Uncle Sam bank...
Now I knew this is the most faked bank so I ask how much...
He says that ot was his dads and he wanted 20 bucks...
So I look at it close... every detail... it looks old... and I knew that the screws are the first clue...
But I was still learning and new" to this whole antique thing... I mean this was in early 90's...
ANYway again...
So while looking I also see this "Buddha" statue... And I like it as well...
He says 20 for both...
I go to ge my wallet out... AND NO FRIGGIN WALLET !
Arrrggg...
BUT I have some stashed ones and fives etc in car...
So I bolt to the car as another guy pulls up to the sale...
I have 12 dollars ... ehhh... and some change...
I tell the guy that I forgot my wallet and would he take the 12 and change... he replies that he cannot... I ask if he will take 12 and cange just for bank...
And he wont...
I almost asked the other guy who I had never seen before if I could borrow 8 bucks.... arggg.
The guy picks up the bank...
And asks the guy...
Guy says 20...
And he sets it down...
I say... Ill be right back...
I bolt to the boat ... which is only about 5 mins away brisk...
Grab wallet and bolt back...
As soon as I pull up...
There sits the Buda where the bank was...
Later that day I went over to my old timer antiquity guys shop... which was right down the road from the other shop...
I go in and ask... hey how do you know if a mechanical back is real or not...
He says "flathead or Phillips" screws... I say flat...
He gets out his Schroder's book... (PRE INTERNET)...
Looks ... and says... hey here is a picture of that bank...
I look close... IT IS EXACT ... color... paint... screws... the works...
Then I look at the price...
over $5000... heh

Breakfast never sucked so bad.

The ole timer antiquity dealers taught me a lot when I was younger...
And this was one of my "teachings" mechanical banks.

He was a real mentor to me... and always has been... And now older than dirt... he still "kicks it man". :)

PS> I have bought over 10 other Uncle Sam banks over the years.
NONE real.

Last edited:

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garage sales in the 70's and 80's and what it would have been like if you could time capsule back with the knowledge you posses now? Or department stores in the 50's & 60's? .......Just a passing thought!
================================================
I can 100% GUARANTEE that I would be RETIRED a decade ago.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure i would be hitting garage sales but i would have to raise some capital so i could buy a very large boat/crew. Next stop with my boat a crew would be September 9th, 1857. East coast, off the Carolinas. I would happily offer my services to a certain ship that will sink that evening.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I always think of how cheap gold was years ago. I used to buy box chain necklaces at Piercing Pagoda in the mall for like $50 (long ones). Look at the really old catalogs. Gold pieces sold for like $5.

I cringe to think what I've tossed over the years. (I have one Barbie from the '60s when I was little. I, uh, gave her a horrid haircut. And lost all her clothes.) Hubby had a bunch of good stuff too. Who knew? All those GI Joe dolls my brother had? gone, gone, gone.

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always think of how cheap gold was years ago. I used to buy box chain necklaces at Piercing Pagoda in the mall for like $50 (long ones). Look at the really old catalogs. Gold pieces sold for like $5.

I cringe to think what I've tossed over the years. (I have one Barbie from the '60s when I was little. I, uh, gave her a horrid haircut. And lost all her clothes.) Hubby had a bunch of good stuff too. Who knew? All those GI Joe dolls my brother had? gone, gone, gone.
=========================================
Back in the day my grandmother was a toy buyer for some huge department chain in Pittsburgh. My brother and I had all the coolest and newest toys.
We had EVERY GI Joe,,,even the "black" ones. The tanks, submarines,,foot lockers,, EVERYTHING. We loved that stuff.
Then when they passed all of it went to the dump. Deep sigh

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not sure i would be hitting garage sales but i would have to raise some capital so i could buy a very large boat/crew. Next stop with my boat a crew would be September 9th, 1857. East coast, off the Carolinas. I would happily offer my services to a certain ship that will sink that evening.

Haha, so your "distress assistance" amount isn't measured in dollars... It's measured in POUNDS!

30,000+ pounds, to be exact.

~Tejaas~

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think of that all the time.
Not only that...
I think of all the times when I first started and some of the sales I walked through looking at piles of stuff that looked good but had no interest at the time.

And I think... sheesh how much great stuff I musta passed up.

Same here! All the time, lol.

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I always am thinking of what it would be like to go back in time to peruse the toy shelves of a 1950s Sears, or to step back to around 1900 and collect all the presidential memorabilia and early photographs. The possibilities are endless!

OP
OP
J

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All it would take is Topps sports cards (Mostly Baseball) from the 50's and 60's. Those sealed cartons today are fetching tens of thousands of dollars in some cases. It's fascinating to think about it!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck I wish I knew the stocks to pick

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley, California, my mom, and all of my sisters were and still are hardcore garage sale, thrift store, and swap meet junkies. If I knew then what I know now about art, the amazing finds that we all would have scored. Back then all the buys were for the house, or person, but never had the understanding of what was collectable and valuable! The guy that found a box full of Ansel Adams original negatives from the 30's is from my home town of Fresno, California! That $40 find was valued at over $200,000,000.00.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/07/27/ansel.adams.discovery/

RJA

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was maybe 20 to 25 years ago from 1934 I located time portal in the desert. I'm not really from this decade or even this century. Always in hot pursuit for that deal of the century. It keeps slipping away as I'm either to soon or just a bit too late in this warping of time travel. The future will remain uncertain so I can only go as far forward as I can go.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread