Deal or no deal

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have a chance to pick up these metals at 10 bucks apiece some are Sterling and some not and They have two different style pens any thoughts
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448115464.878616.jpg

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see one in that group but I have sold a Sterling submarine medal for 60 bucks before.. Similar to the wings on top of photo. I'd try and make a group buy. Especially if you can pull pins up on eBay and scan quickly..

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many in there that I would pay $10 a piece for. Would I pay $10 each for the entire lot of 70 or whatever it is? Yes, if I could take my time and authenticate the ones that I think are most desirable. There are certain ones I'm looking at, that if authentic could be worth hundreds each, several of them.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an example, there is a big difference between this-

s-l1600.jpg

and this-

s-l1600.jpg

One is a $500 wing and the other is a $5 one. The devil is in the details.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the one I got for $13 hope it's worth more than the five ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448162515.108272.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448162528.612083.jpg
He through a price out there of $10 each if I buy all but I don't think he really wanted to sell them because I tried to get two other ones off of him and he wouldn't sell he wanted to trade

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few more military items I picked up from another estate sales I have more I just have to dig them out to get pictures I was wondering if I can get any good references for books on pricing and identification thank you ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448405717.766737.jpg

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will do fine with that piece at $13. When it comes to military medals, awards and insignia, they make reproductions of just about everything, even common low dollar items. You have to become familiar with the construction methods and materials used to make them. I don't really use books for identification of anything as I can usually find everything online without too much effort. For rare or unknown items, I turn towards military collector forums for identification. I'm a member of 4 or 5 of them. They are also the best source for authenticating pieces also.

The round things with US 7 on them are "WW1 collar discs". There were several different units that used that number. Just from looking at the fronts, they don't look right to me, I believe they are modern. If period they would sell for about $10-$15 each, maybe. The WW1 veterans pin is post WW2 reason being because it says WW1 on it indicating that there was already a WW2, make sense? I don't know about the cuff button, doesn't look military.

Here is a good site for dating collar discs- Dating Metallic Insignia: Collar Disks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread