Glass Insulators

Au-N-Rod

Mar 5, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do not know much about insulators, but more than I did Saturday. Bought a box of insulators at a garage sale, then went to work to find out what they are worth. I threw away those that were cracked and broken since they were duplicates of others. Ended up with 9 good ones.

Looks like about 7 of them are worth around $10/each. Then another two which will go for 5-10 /each. So, should be able to move them for at least $80.

Works out good since I would not pay her $5 asking price and got them for $3.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to remember about glass insulators is the colored ones usually sell for more than clear ones. I picked up a nice pyrex 63 marigold one a few weeks ago.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing to look for with insulators is unusual shapes and colors. Clear and aqua are very common and usually not worth more then what someone will pay for it as a paper weight. They can be found in a myriad of colors, just about anything you can imagine. I personally own a purple one and a wine bottle green one, for example. Also if you find any that are marbled with two different colors, even common clear & aqua varieties, those are valuable regardless of age & type.

Another thing to look for is lack of threads. Common insulators are threaded to screw onto their posts, but very early insulators were not, which makes them much more rare and valuable, regardless of color.

icemncmth

Nov 10, 2015
NE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI you can still glass insulators new by the case. Some people still purchase them new and sell them as old.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't collect them but I do buy them every now and then if the price is right. I picked up most of these for $1-$2, most was $5 for the Carnival glass Pyrex one and one of the purple ones. I have them on the back porch with my rocks and stuff.

DSC03665.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread