A lesson learned and shared!

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I "scored" this beautiful vintage oil on canvas painting at a garage sale yesterday. As I was approaching it, I glanced at it, and right away I determined that it was a reproduction made of cardboard. The odd thing was that I turned it around, and it had all of the signs of a vintage painting.....the smell, the nails instead of staples, the browned aged canvas, the aged wood, the torned aged labels. My immediate thought was, somebody put the reproduction on top of the canvas because probably they wanted something different after growing tired of looking at the original over and over again. The painting had a price, but instinctively I offered half (priced at $20 offered $10). The gentleman accepted, and I quickly paid and walked to my car!

Once in my car, I'm thinking early retirement, in my Bungalow, in California overlooking the Pacific Ocean. I had a smile from ear to ear!
:-) I have a recent friend that owns a frame/art gallery, and since I was in the area, I took it to him. I told him what I thought it was. He looked at it, turned it around, and shattered my early retirement California dreams when he told me that it was a very, very good attempt at making a reproduction look like an original. I laughed!

It was a beautiful lesson in my art education. it was a score, and truly a valuable lesson learned. This was my very first time seeing this, and I know I will be thinking about, and smiling, when I'm in my Bungalow in California overlooking the Pacific Ocean! :-)

RJA
Victorian2.jpg Victorian1.jpg Victorian3.jpg Victorian4.jpg Victorian5.jpg

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still worth every penny. For 10 bucks you got an education and a pretty cool frame. Thanks for sharing the info.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say you did pretty good for $10 myself. You realize that frame by itself is worth probably $200, if the cond. of the gesso is as good as it appears. How did your friend come to the conclusion that this is a modern reproduction oil? You didn't mention that part.

BTW- George R. Steven's had an art store in 1880's Danbury, Conn. before it burned down in early 1890 in a large fire. Danbury, CT Fire, Feb 1890 | GenDisasters ... Genealogy in Tragedy, Disasters, Fires, Floods

S

stefen

Want another lesson?

Take the painting to a top art gallery that accepts consignments.

Without divulging what you think you know, ask to have the piece appraised and consigned...while wearing a poker face.

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say you did pretty good for $10 myself. You realize that frame by itself is worth probably $200, if the cond. of the gesso is as good as it appears. How did your friend come to the conclusion that this is a modern reproduction oil? You didn't mention that part.

BTW- George R. Steven's had an art store in 1880's Danbury, Conn. before it burned down in early 1890 in a large fire. Danbury, CT Fire, Feb 1890 | GenDisasters ... Genealogy in Tragedy, Disasters, Fires, Floods

Very good question, and I did not mention it. There is a tiny tear of approx 1/2" to 1" on the back of the canvas. He pulled a little on the tear, and pointed out that there was no oil paint or anything to indicate that someone had painted the canvas. Frankly, I personally don't buy that story because one, the repro looks too clean, too intact, and two, usually repros of over 80-100 are deteriorating. This one looks probably an 80's work. I've been itching to take the repro off but I don't wan't to damage it. :-) Thanks again for the info. I appreciate it.

RJA

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Want another lesson?

Take the painting to a top art gallery that accepts consignments.

Without divulging what you think you know, ask to have the piece appraised and consigned...while wearing a poker face.

Great suggestion. I appreciate it.

RJA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread