Bassett Mid Cent Modern Surfboard end table 1960s

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bassett Mid Cent Modern Surfboard end table 1960's

I decided to leave early from work. It was not that early around 130. I was on my way to pick up my daughter from school, and I knew that I would come across a few sales. On my way I followed a sign about a mile from my house, and I found this table. It is a beautiful MCM from Bassett in the Surfboard style. There it was with some jars on top of it. I got it for $5. Unfortunately, the owner only had one. I really like it. It's made of real Maple wood, very fine lines, and it's a joy to see. :-)

RJA Surf1.jpg Surf2.jpg Surf3.jpg Surf4.jpg

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Georgeous table. Well done

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Alas, Bassett Furniture Co. is essentially gone... The company does still exist, but the largest employers in Bassett, Virginia now are convenience stores. My father "retired" from them before they ceased to exist - couldn't compete with the KMart suppliers.... Bassett did make quality furniture using quality materials. They closed down here and subbed out to other nations. A story lately was that they wanted to stop subbing out the manufacturing and re-open the factories. But the Henry County "goberment" refused unless Bassett updated all facilities to meet current codes - which would have cost Bassett a fortune. They decided "why bother", and left the town & county in its' current "depression" - probably a thousand local jobs lost in that decision. Goberment just wanted a piece of the pie....

Legend around here is that John D. Bassett got his start making furniture from stolen railroad ties....

I attended John D. Bassett High School till I moved to North Carolina...

Last edited:

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Artslinger,

By the angle of the pics you took, the tabletop's wood isn't Maple; it appears to be America Walnut. One end of the table appears to show a cream color which is the sap wood of a Walnut tree. The edge of that board seems to indicate that the top is made from solid Walnut and not Walnut veneer. The legs may also be Walnut with a dark stain, but the pics aren't detailed enough to get a good look at the wood grain they are made from.

You did great on the table!

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread