Found my dream box! Except....

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning before I got up I had a dream that I found something really really good at a yard sale. I got into this community sale pretty early and skip the first rows of houses, went the back of the community. Second house had this box sitting underneath of the table. The lady said she had not had time to go through it and wanted $75 for the whole box. The sign on it was something that caught My eye!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449361807.929206.jpg

On top of the Box was this. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449361897.895756.jpg

I opened it up and everything was wrapped up inside of it all nice. Nothing needs polished and it all looks like it's brand-new.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449361939.412289.jpg

Being that everything was individually wrapped and someone took the time to Polish at all I figured it was probably a homeroom. I did not want to sit there and go through every single piece because it would've taken me a half hour to unwrap it all. For $75 I wish I would have gone through it. Because it all ended up being plated. However since all the pieces are completely polished, a lot of the time that it would've taken to clean it up does not need to be done. I think overall from all of the pieces inside of it there's probably roughly $300-$500 worth of stuff inside of it even though I have not priced everything out yet.

I can't even imagine if it really was all Sterling. Would've been the best score of my life! I will add some more pictures shortly as I'm going to list it all tonight. One piece should sell for $90+.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your heart must have been beating out of your chest!! To bad it wasn't sterling though! Still a great find. Does plate sell well in your area? We can't seem to give it away around here. I guess it depends on what people are looking for.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at the pic before reading your post and was already getting jealous....then I read plated. I do think you did well but Holy Cow if that had been sterling....Congrats!

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowowow, i bet a shop would love those especially in a set.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a partial set in there that has the creamers and a picture and also a gravy bowl and a serving dish that all match. I don't think they're worth a whole lot of money. I put them up for like $99 or best offer. This is one of the nicer pieces. I look at it and want to spit on it. I so wish it was Sterling. But I'll be happy with what I got maybe next time it will be...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449366906.778071.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449366932.742946.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449366970.255285.jpg

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a great buy!

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I apologize in advance for the Monday morning quarterbacking but, before shelling out $75, I would have unwrapped a few pieces and confirmed they were, in fact, sterling. If several pieces in a row turned out to be silver plate, I would have walked away. I have purchased a few pieces of silver plate before and I couldn't GIVE the damn stuff away. Hope it turns out better for you.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver plate is a tough market. You have to really know your stuff to make any decent money on silver plate. Not sure I would have pulled the trigger at $75. Beachkid's a miracle worker though, something tells me he'll come out on top.. :)

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver plate is a tough market. You have to really know your stuff to make any decent money on silver plate. Not sure I would have pulled the trigger at $75. Beachkid's a miracle worker though, something tells me he'll come out on top.. :)

Or break even I hope, it was probably not the best buy... I don't think I would've been able to walk away from it though.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of those little shell bowls. use it for screws when tearing down computers.

All I see is $1.50 lb for recycle brass.

You win some and you lose some. good thing it is polished that will help in selling.

Since it was marked "sterling silver" and it was only plated I might have taken it back and say not as marked.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't tell you how many stores I see jewelry marked 18k with a high price sticker, and it's 18k hge. I think ppl don't realize there is a difference between silver and silver plate. I think BK will turn it around. He always does!
Your dream was a nice one. I hope it comes true real fast.

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
Darn, Hope you are able to break even on it.
I just threw a bunch away as I couldn't give it away. I kept it for awhile to remind me every time I looked at it. I was in for about the same as you $75.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a silver plate golf trophy once for $12.00 only because it was from the 1930s and art deco cool looking. It blew me away when this dude ran the auction up on it over $300. on the final bid. I was thinking at best it would triple my money. Some "REALLY" old like 18th to early 19th century stuff, Sheffield plate can be worth the investment I believe?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold one piece for $89 and free shipping. I guess it's pretty close to breaking even. Nothing else has even had any attention.

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be very happy with that sale. My strategy is to always offer way less than asking. Just in case. These are all little learning experiences to make you more refined and knowledgeable. Move on to the next score! :-)

Artslinger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread