Antique wood plane.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I may have wasted $10 but before I toss it or list it I thought I would ask you guys. Marked A. Burgoyne. Comes with the metal part that is marked Robi sorby Sheffield. And here are the pictures because I know nothing about it. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450116560.537831.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450116587.613598.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450116609.300279.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450116632.197058.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450116662.529894.jpg

S

stefen

You did OK...

Appears to be a leveling plane based on it's length...

Best when used for table tops and the like as opposed to planing a door edge (although will work too)

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did good at $10.00 IMO.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say you made a good buy.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Antique woodworking tools are awesome! Did you ever see The Woodwright's Shop? He uses nothing but. I often thought I'd like to stumble on something similar.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your help. The main reason I ended up buying it was because my daughter was with me and she is four and she had to use the bathroom really bad so I asked the lady and she said that was fine. And she was his cute little grandma looking type, of course while she was in the house my daughter asked for some crackers the lady had in there and she gave her some crackers as well so I feel obligated to buy something. And this was the only thing that was even close to worth the money they were asking.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did well. In a retail store, it would bring between $45 and $75. The old wood planes fit almost any decorator's taste and goes with almost any décor.

In reality, those old planes required a lot of muscle to use. I'm guessing that the plane iron is at least 2-1/2" wide, that's a lot of wood to remove if face planning a board.. The gap between the cutting edge and the chip-breaker cap is set for average wood removal; it would be a narrower gap for finish planning or planning wood with knots or burl grain. When setting the cutter edge out the bottom of the plane, so the sharp blade is level, you would set it just so you could barely see the cutter sticking out to be able to use it with out your tongue hanging out... ;>)

Going over it with a light coat of "Johnson's paste floor wax", and then hand buffing it after it dries, will give it a deeper tone and a feel that will attract any buyer that takes the time to pick it up....and you'll get the higher end pricing, too.

Bill

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Looks nice. Congrats.

I picked one up a few years back. I thought I found The Holy Grail of woodworking and perhaps it was used to help build all the 1600’s homes in my area. After the let-down of not having the one that came over with the Pilgrims, I don’t bother with them. I do see than often GS'ing.
(Trivia. the Pilgrims were originally called “Old Comers”)

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
You did well on that plane.

Like everything else, wood planes are really soft right now.

There is a Facebook group called Antique and Vintage Tools Society. Used to be an awesome group, but it isn't as good as it once was. Probably still a good place to ask.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions