Sterling??

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450620729.806863.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450620741.327895.jpg

No marking but the black tarnish makes me think Sterling...

Any opinions?

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I am certainly no expert, but I would be acid testing that puppy. I believe it is good and congratulations are in order. Good luck with it.

T.

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did not pick it up or commit to it yet. Looking for opinions to make the 1hour drive at least plausible lol.

Dakota Sioux

Nov 11, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is Sterling then it is weighted with plaster in the base. I would be leery of anything not marked.

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, figured on the weighted part. In fact that's part of what made me think Sterling.. Waiting on a reply to a message to possibly go look at it.

luke_00

Jun 15, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put a piece of ice on it and if it melts fast it is sterling.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hour drive to get it tested? That's not worth it. Buy acid kit on eBay. Probably a better option. They are cheap/ affordable.

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got the test kit, know about the ice... Etc etc etc... Gold and silver is my second job, I'm waiting on a reply to a message about this piece. I was asking...based on the photos alone what does everyone think..

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Did not pick it up or commit to it yet. Looking for opinions to make the 1hour drive at least plausible lol.

I probably wouldn't drive an hour to get it even if it was free. Looks like it's probably sterling but that's a lot of gas & time.

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to, and still see people scrambling for gold, silver, and jewelry at the garage sales. I never got on the bandwagon because I'm with the thinking that if you have gold, and for the most part everybody does, that everybody will know that gold is valuable, and therefore you'll want to get top money for it if you're selling it, and not give it away at the garage sales. I've been wrong because a lot of you have done well. So educate me, please. If this would to be sterling, how much would it be worth? I would assume the grade, and maker would have something to do with it. Thanks to all!

RJA

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Art,

Generally speaking if the item is silver it should be stamped sterling or 925 which is the purity level of sterling.

Regards + HH

Bill

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it also it depends on how much they're asking for it. With the mark being questionable, anything over $15- $20 is not worth an hours drive unless it was a Tiffany piece . And I don't think it is. The mark could be under some of that tarnish and the photo doesn't really show a good close up. I have seen some plated pieces that are weighted. Not a lot but they do exist.

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's small... 6 inches tall I passed at 10 bucks but may pick it up if I get up that way again soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions