How would you handle the situation

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a book awhile back and I listed it today. Shortly after I listed it i started getting questions and a bid. As I started doing research on the book I found out it was not a second state but a first state. I listed it as a second. I am still researching but not sure how to handle the listing. What I put it up for when I though it was a second state and what it could go for as the first state is about 3 to 4 times the amount what could be in the thousands. If you were in this situation would you end the listing or leave it and see what happens. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
once you get bids , you are limited on changing stuff like - price , but , you can add more to the description of it . It it just comes up as a new "dated" description . It happened to me the other day -
On Dec-27-15 at 05:09:47 PST, seller added the following information:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131682032592?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can edit description ... yes ?
How about Title ?
Add the newly discovered info in bold caps perhaps. ?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
write that..... by honest error the item WAS FOUND TO BE NOT AS DISCRIBED ...AND TO AVOID POSSIBLE PROBEMS YOU RECOMMEND THAT POSSIBLE BUYERS KNOW THIS FACT * ( DO NOT SAY ITS MUCH MORE VALUIBLE --OR THEY WILL"INSIST"' THE SALE GO THRU FOR THE "CHEAP PRICE" - COUNT ON IT) --THEY WILL THEN BACK OUT ON THE SALE AND YOU CAN LATER ON "RELIST" IT

Last edited:

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cancel it. You discovered something new that is in your best interest to add and revise that may consequently increase the final item price. I bet that the bidder or bidders if in your position would cancel the ad and revised. Must be a very nice book! Congratulations.

RJA

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd end my listing if the price difference is as great as you say it is. Technically your listing isn't correct anyway with the description stating it as a second state when it is actually a first state. Reason- Error in listing.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK so I canceled the auction here's the book that I've been referring to I see that my link did not work.It has all the signs of being the first edition first state and I did have the dust cover but accidentally gave it to Goodwill yesterday.went back today and left my number hopefully they will come across it and give me a call as for the book cover is even rare. Thank you for the help
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451665477.732773.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451665493.561899.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451665512.901855.jpg

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK so I canceled the auction here's the book that I've been referring to I see that my link did not work.It has all the signs of being the first edition first state and I did have the dust cover but accidentally gave it to Goodwill yesterday.went back today and left my number hopefully they will come across it and give me a call as for the book cover is even rare. Thank you for the help
View attachment 1254275 View attachment 1254276 View attachment 1254277

I wouldn't way for them to call me. I would be there first thing in the morning, and would not leave until they found it. Don't tell them that it's from a rare first edition book. Blame it on your wife and just say that she accidentally put it in the donation box without knowing. :-)

RJA

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always ALWAYS keep the dust jacket. Old books sell for MUCH more if you have the dust jacket.

Yes very true a lesson learned the hard way

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well no luck with getting a hold of an appraiser all the ones I've talk to new nothing about the book I want to relisted but I have no idea of what price to put on it the only two I've seen was the one link that's on here and another one that to me I think is a crazy price at $17,500 but I think that one was signed by the author so unsure where I should start The problem that I'm having there's not much to go with on the first edition first state so I guess I'll keep trying for now thanks for all the help

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try and get three different verbal appraisals
from high end book dealers/auction houses. Their average estimate should give you an idea of its value.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try and get three different verbal appraisals
from high end book dealers/auction houses. Their average estimate should give you an idea of its value.

I've tried three different places and they all were rare book buyers one of them was from the antique roadshow the guy that's on there the other one was out in Utah and one just south of me and all three of them would not give me a verbal appraisal one wanted 1000 and the other one wanted 500 and the one that wanted 500 that's just south of me told me I taught him something today about a book he had no clue what I was talking about so I guess I will try to find a reparable auction house and see what I can do with that and the third one I'm waiting on a reply a phone call back

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you sent an email today will keep all you posted

Here's an update from heritage auctions don't know why none of them can get on the right page

After reviewing the information you provided, we have determined that Heritage Auctions is not the proper venue to sell your item. There are several copies of this book without dust jacket being offered for sale on abebooks.com for an average retail price of about $150 or so.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found it on the worthpoint anyone have a subscription
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452391308.244200.jpg