May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent 2 hours yesterday morning going through all of my 2015 ebay sales via paypal so i can get my taxes squared away and found a few of my own contenders. The biggest return on investment was from private pick i organized that kept me a 2 friends busy every weekend for 2 months. For 5.00 i purchased a set of Monarch 10EE lathe metric change gears, minus the traversing gear, and sold them for 950.00 The original invoice was in the box and listed them at 1250.00

The other awesome item was 2 bags of sterling silver flatware that were stuffed in a cabinet that had been paint-sealed shut for years. Nobody at the estate sale could get the door open but resistance was futile with my gorilla hands and i pulled it right open. The estate lady insisted they were plated and only asked for 20.00, even though i could clearly see the words "sterling" marked on the pieces. In her defense, there were about 3 pieces of plate and maybe that's why she was so adamant about declaring it all plated. Once home, i sorted it and had approx 6 pounds of sterling and about 15 super unique/rare souvenir spoons. Some of the said spoons are fetching 275.00+ on ebay like the San Francisco, Hawaii, various enameled ones and Daughters of the American Revolution.

Epic score. You made an incredible buy.

luke_00

Jun 15, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheech is that a typo or did you say you got a thousand of these for $60? Either way nice find!

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funding Solar Project with "Somebody Elses" Money

Found a blacksmith hammer for $4. First time I ever sold anything on Ebay, it sold for $375.00 with free shipping... Cleared just over $330. Does "Finding a Buyer" count? :tongue3: From a first time to sell on Craigslist, I sold a solar power trailer I paid $300 for to a buyer in Jan. 2015 for $1,200.00.

I then used the money, and from Ebay, I bought some new solar panel supplies, equipment, and "Outback Solar" metal mounting cases and wall bracket panel for two 3500 watt inverters and three Outback 80amp solar charge controllers. When the 5kw solar array is operational, I'll get back 30% in a Solar IRS tax credit to make those original hammer dollars come back around to me....
for more garage sale adventures....:happy3::happy3::happy3:

Just started the ground work and hiring-out the eighteen holes drilled 3-1/2 ft. deep for the 12' x 54' solar panel array framework to be cemented in....

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/455365-another-b-o-l-o-jay-sharp-hammer.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/413140-first-one-i-ve-ever-seen-garage-sale.html

Bill

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 138
Last edited:

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheech is that a typo or did you say you got a thousand of these for $60? Either way nice find!

No that's correct $60 for all of them

vintage Intel Eprom Rare White Ceramic from the 70's

Last edited:

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whether you got 1000 for 60 or 1000 sets of ten like that for 60 that is a ridiculous score, congrats!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
My best find this year was an Epson r1900 printer (used once, according to the orignal owner) and a gateway 23 inch monitor new in sealed box. I paid $45 for the pair. I sold the monitor for $150 on Amazon (net about $120). I have the Printer listed on Amazon for $869.99. Sold prices on ebay for similar is about $800... If it doesn't sell soon, I'll go ahead a list it.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to share another one. After learning about Legos mainly from this site. I went to a yard sale and under the table was the Statue of Liberty Lego set halfway put together with the box the other half of it was completely sealed up and the lady wanted $25 for it. I didn't bother to look it up I figured it was maybe worth $150 maybe. I ended up selling it for $1800. Here's an example of what I bought and sold.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/281838136511

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to share another one. After learning about Legos mainly from this site. I went to a yard sale and under the table was the Statue of Liberty Lego set halfway put together with the box the other half of it was completely sealed up and the lady wanted $25 for it. I didn't bother to look it up I figured it was maybe worth $150 maybe. I ended up selling it for $1800. Here's an example of what I bought and sold.

Wonderful Lego 3450 Statue of Liberty 100 Complete w Boxes Instructions | eBay

Way to go, Beachkid!!!!

I was wondering if you'd share where the rest of the money went as the final bid and your net profit seems so wide. How much was the Ebay fee? Paypal's charges? etc.

The profit margin is great no matter how you look at it, I was just wondering as I'm going to put an item on Ebay that retails for over $2,000.00. There is a possibility I can send my item into the manufacturer and get it re-calibrated and cleaned, if their charges are reasonable, to help make the item stand out and above what's usually sold on Ebay. I'm trying to judge what the listing costs will be if the sale ends like yours did.

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go, Beachkid!!!!

I was wondering if you'd share where the rest of the money went as the final bid and your net profit seems so wide. How much was the Ebay fee? Paypal's charges? etc.

The profit margin is great no matter how you look at it, I was just wondering as I'm going to put an item on Ebay that retails for over $2,000.00. There is a possibility I can send my item into the manufacturer and get it re-calibrated and cleaned, if their charges are reasonable, to help make the item stand out and above what's usually sold on Ebay. I'm trying to judge what the listing costs will be if the sale ends like yours did.

Thanks,
Bill

Based upon BeachKid's tales of picking, looking at that seller's other listings, I don't think that's his listing. Someone else's.

Here's the rundown on ebay fees:

If you're a non-store seller, your first 50 listings are free and then .30 thereafter.

But it's the final value fees where the real fees come in:
Paypal takes about 4% off the top when you use them for the transacton.
Ebay takes another 10% off the top if you're not a Top Rated Seller.

So, for your $2000, it it's a standard category (not eBay motors), you'll end up paying $280 in fees. Some people complain bitterly about this, but if this is the best place to sell your item, you have Millions of potential eyeballs looking at your listing; as opposed to thousands or hundreds from local CL or classifieds.

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, my best finds of the year have been:

A Lane end table that I bought for $10 and sold for $200. I find several of these a year and pretty much sell them for the same amount. However they are a super pain to ship. I prefer to pick and sell jewelry: shipping it is a breeze.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go, Beachkid!!!!

Thanks,
Bill

If you can help me find where the rest of the money went we can be life friends! Between my wife's shopping and having 3 kids.... Who knows where it goes! Plus a lot into yardsales account and savings. All though we had a lot of debt. So that was high. Now that's all gone, so don't have to deal with that. Payments were $650/ month!

That wasn't my listing. Just one like it. Mine was like $1850.00. I think i had free shipping too. So $240 in fees plus probably $60 shipping.. I think we ended up putting most the money into our house because we went on vacation and came home to a flooded bedroom. Insurance deductible was $1000..

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can help me find where the rest of the money went we can be life friends! Between my wife's shopping and having 3 kids.... Who knows where it goes! Plus a lot into yardsales account and savings. All though we had a lot of debt. So that was high. Now that's all gone, so don't have to deal with that. Payments were $650/ month!

That wasn't my listing. Just one like it. Mine was like $1850.00. I think i had free shipping too. So $240 in fees plus probably $60 shipping.. I think we ended up putting most the money into our house because we went on vacation and came home to a flooded bedroom. Insurance deductible was $1000..

BK, didn't mean to pry about how you spent your profits... I see now that the example you linked to isn't your listing; just an example with higher numbers. I was concerned that there were some hidden fees on Paypal's and Ebay's part that I didn't know about.

The main idea of my question has to do with what I could do to enhance the profit of the sale of a machine shop tool's accessory. I paid $10 for the item and it appears to have never been used. Since its sat on a closet shelf for years, according to the widow's story that went with it, I was thinking about the cost of factory cleaning and checking for minor calibration updating. Here's an example of one currently listed on Ebay.

Harig Grind All No 1 Nice Wood Case Manual | eBay

It's good to know that your garage sale finds help out the household budget. Keep up the great adventures and finds, and keep posting!!!

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome thread! This was by far my Best Buy/sell of 2015. Wish I could find ones like this every week! Paid $35 for the camera. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453779854.515301.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread