Odd sterling item, need help identifiying

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even my jeweler didn't know what this was. Its about 2.5 inches long, pretty thin, and looks like a coral stone. It has a native American or Mexican feel to it but the hallmark doesn't match anything I see in the Mexican area. And just what is this thing? It's not marked but I'm pretty sure, given where I got and how, it's sterling.

DSC_0426.JPG DSC_0427.JPG DSC_0428.JPG DSC_0429.JPG

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
Wow this is an odd one. The stone is red coral. Probably an unknown rain cloud Zuni shop pictograph hallmark. I was going to say its a money clip but there is no clip. Maybe a handkerchief holder?

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be a decorative piece for a belt

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with cheech, belt decoration.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking some kind of hair piece, but it seems like it'd be annoying to have to slide it on, especially if your hair is very long.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen those sqwiggely lines somewhere before.. Reminiscent of pottery markings to me.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After seeing the post above about a kerchief holder I agree that's what it looked like.

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That piece was made by Lawrence G. Golsh of the Pala Band Cherokee. One of his pieces is in the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian.

While it's not old, I think the significance is a BANNER find! Nice job and hopefully a big surprise.

OP
OP
J

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That piece was made by Lawrence G. Golsh of the Pala Band Cherokee. One of his pieces is in the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian.

While it's not old, I think the significance is a BANNER find! Nice job and hopefully a big surprise.

Thank you so much! I don't know if I would have ever found that mark. I would have (and WAS) been searching under "L" all day. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes. I'm probably putting it up on ebay for a high OBO listing and see what happens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions