Once in a lifetime find!

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So not too long ago at a sale I bought a box of WW2 paperwork. It was mostly folders of confidential ww2 ship reports. All from the same ship. There were some other things in the box such as "weekly intelligence" and "know your enemy" pamphlets. Pretty much everything was marked restricted or confidential. Most of the folders were still unopened and bound with old twine.

Afterwards I find out the sale was the estate of a lady that had passed away with no surviving children. Her husband passed away over 30 years ago. He was the captain of a minesweeper during ww2. The ship participated in the battle of Iwo Jima and Okinawa. He had saved the ship reports and everything. It's crazy to think this stuff had just been sitting in a box that whole time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 289
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 286
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 294
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 286
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 280
OP
OP
S

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I finally get around to opening the folders and looking at everything...I nearly have a heart attack!!! In one of the folders are top secret maps for the invasion of Iwo Jima and Okinawa. Two of the maps are the exact ones that are on a pawn stars episode. It's on YouTube... "Pawn Stars: Iwo Jima Battle Plans". The others I can't find anywhere online. They are obviously extremely rare.

So now I'm curious of the value and what exactly to do with them. The ship reports alone are an amazing piece of history. Those and the top secret maps are definitely a once in a lifetime find!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 255
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 254
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 270
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 293
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 270

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Can't help on the valuations though.

I can't help myself for the following joke.

Email them to Hillary. It will be fine. They are no longer marked Top Secret.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great archive find. There's not too many of those left.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go with an established auction house, whether you want to sell or find out insurance value. There must be one that specializes in military items.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome score. Military items were churned out by the millions but stuff like that is really special. That's one of those rare items that can be directly placed at Iwo, prior to the invasion. Imagine what the officers were thinking when they were looking it over the in the days leading up to Feb. 19th. What were they thinking 4 days later once they had landed on that barren moonscape? I can say it wasn't pleasant. I don't know how well read you are on the subject but i would pick up a book or two about Iwo Jima and see what those young soldiers were faced once they landed on those beaches. I used to think that European Theater/Normandy was the real "grinder" when it came to casualties but the Pacific takes that title.

I would suggest "Iwo Jima - Legacy of Valor" That book paints a picture of war that no photograph could ever match.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That stuff belongs in a museum, most museums will take stuff on loan and put your name with the item to credit you.

OP
OP
S

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that they belong in a museum. If I decide to sell them I have a feeling they'll still end up in one. The sale that they came from had many other amazing things. All his medals. The sextant from the ship. Pennants that were flown on the ship. A pennant that he had labeled "battle of Iwo Jima". A worn out flag that was labeled battle of Okinawa. Even his diplomas and such. The only thing I managed to buy was that box of paperwork and couple of pennants.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 198
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 215
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 194

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SCpicker, what a great find.

Your thoughts about a museum are spot on. I would like to suggest one that I know well, and that is chartered to that subject. The National Museum of the Pacific War (pacificwarmuseum.org) is located in Fredericksburg, Texas, the home of Adm. Chester Nimitz. It has one of a kind articles and displays, much like the one you have found. It also has ties with several research centers that focus on that theater of operations. i believe they would be interested.

In any case, thanks for locating another piece of our nation's history...

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have paid a pretty penny for those, as my Father-in-Law was in both of those battles & survived. Something like that would have been worth the money because of the history & my In-Law connection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread