billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ended January with a 14kt Man's Watch, Started February with a 14kt Ladies' Watch

Found in garage/estate sale "Baggies" of watches, we found 14kt. Last week, I picked up a baggie of watches for $4.00. In it was a brand of watch made by "Germinal Voltaire". Stamped on the back: "14K" on the yellow gold case. The design is a bit "edgy" with its straight lines. I set the time and wound the stem. It runs. It will gain almost 4 minutes in 24 hrs. It may be worth more as a working piece of Vintage History than in scrap gold....

Today, we attended an estate sale, and in the cold morning wind we were 4th and 5th in line. My wife picked up several "Baggies" of watches. Some Baggies had just a single old watch. For $3 each, the two Baggies's single contents had an Elgin 14kt gold-filled watch, and the other was a Hamilton 10kt gold-filled. I was going though a Baggie filled with a mix of ladies watches. It threw me at first as I look through the plastic because the watch looked so new it had that "Wet Plated" look. When I saw it with the metal bracelet-band unlatched, I saw "14K" stamped on the back. When I dug it out of the plastic bag at almost the speed of light, I flipped it over and read the maker's name: "Lucien Piccard" Even the solid link band is stamped 14kt.

Also found some 10kt service pins from teaching and nursing professions, and a 14kt yellow gold "General Dynamics" service and also a small Mason's threaded pin for a leather belt. Great weekend.

Bill

Attachments

• 149.JPG
    149.JPG
    576.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 150.JPG
    150.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 154.JPG
    154.JPG
    344.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 151.JPG