First gold watch - 1916 Waltham Colonial

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a sale today and person had a few watches. This was the only pocket watch. It worked, but was missing the hook you attach to a chain. For $25, I took a chance. I assumed it was gold filled.

Got it home and open. Turns out it is 14k.

The case says: Waltham Colonial 14k 585/1000 and has serial number: 413318

Movement says: H.W.W. CO. Waltham Mass. 17 jewels with serial# 20785888

Looks like this was made in 1916.

Unfortunately, when I opened it, one of the hands fell off and I can't find it.

Curious on whether I should get it fixed (missing hand and loop at top) and any ideas on value.

Thx,
bill

Attachments

• 1455483519023.jpg
    1455483519023.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 1455483530946.jpg
    1455483530946.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 1455483541837.jpg
    1455483541837.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 173

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a sale today and person had a few watches. This was the only pocket watch. It worked, but was missing the hook you attach to a chain. For $25, I took a chance. I assumed it was gold filled.

Curious on whether I should get it fixed (missing hand and loop at top) and any ideas on value.

Thx,
bill

A great find!!

On my learning curve, here's two things that might help you now, and in your future finds. Some of the wrist watches won't show 14kt on the outside. I found an old white old watch from the 1920's at a dealer's garage sale. When I pried open the case, the 14kt marking was inside the case backing. Also, get yourself a super magnet and get on your hands and knees. No matter if its in the car, home carpet, or the yard's grass, one or two of those super magnets have saved me several times.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the great pics, too.

Bill

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that sale was worth your time!! No pun intended.[emoji12]. Great find and a beautiful watch!

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a watch collector that pocket watch has a lot more value to some one who collects pocket watches, than just metal value. That being said find the missing hand!!!! Value on these things comes from originality and a replacement especially for this can be quite costly... Expect to pay around $100 to get it serviced which is worth it. Can't speak too much on the value of it... Head over to the pocket watch forum on Nawcc they'll know everything!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. My feeling is that any gold watch is worth fixing as long as it is reasonable.

Last edited:

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thx,
bill

The hand you lost, if you can't find it and want it replaced, is called a Breguet style hand. I can look around and see if i have any loose ones sitting around my shop or in my watch parts box.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info and offer bigcaddy64! Very nice to offer and I was going to write back saying I would take you up on it. However, wife came home and says "oh, you found the watch hand", which I hadn't. It was sitting on kitchen table. I'm shocked I found it. I can't believe it!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you date this yet? When I found a Waltham pocketwatch, I googled how to tell the age. There is a special Waltham site where you put in the serial number, and it tells you how old it is. Gives lots of information on the watch too. I don't have it bookmarked anymore, because I sold the watch. Sorry.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's from 1916 - this is the site I used to date it: https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/

@Spartcom5....thanks for the tip about: https://nawcc.org/

I posted over there. Some said to sell, some said to keep. However, I got the email below which was very helpful. I'm going to get it fixed and keep it.

Hi,

I would like to say nice find. As you have determined you have a solid 14k case. Considering the amount you paid and the gold melt value of the case you did well.

I would also like you to know that in addition to the gold in the case, it is a special case. You movement is a 1425 grade colonial size, which in itself is unusual. It is a 12 size movement with a 14 size pillar plate and dial. Made at a time when watches were becoming smaller.

These movements will only fit in a colonial size case. Many cases were solid gold and have been melted for their scrap value. In addition to gold value and rarity of the case you have an original combination. For this reason I think it would be worth the effort of repairing the watch and keeping it.

Have a nice day and congrats on your find.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you are making a very wise decision. Congrats on a fantastic find. I hope you enjoy it for many years.

CladiatorMax

Nov 1, 2012
Garden Grove, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Sovereign GT / Garrett Carrot / Stavr Scoops
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Get your carrot out and find that arm lol. Wow, congrats, that is very cool. I'd take it to a reputable jeweler and get it fixed. How awesome is that to be carrying around a time piece from 1916? Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, my family does not really have any family heirlooms. I've been using yard saling to create some.

For example, I bought a very heavy sterling silver baby cup...one that retails for $400+. Instead of selling, I got my kids names and bdays engraved on it. When my brother had a kid, I got the kids name engraved on it. Figure we could pass it around the family whenever a baby is born.

For the watch, I am think about getting my grandfather's name engraved on it and then one day giving it to my kid and telling him it once belonged to his great grandfather....haha. I think white lies like this are OK.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

So I got the watch back today. The people over at https://nawcc.org/ recommended I get it fixed by this place: Pocket Watch Repair-Professional Repair Services for Vintage or Antique Pocket Watches

The person's name is Rob and I think he did a great job. Including shipping & insurance he charged me: $171 to: clean and maintenance, new crystal, new gold filled bow, utltrasonic and buff case, soak dial and attach hand, adjust canon pinion.

Here are the after pics. I'm keeping this one.

hh,
bill

IMG_20160408_203817.jpg IMG_20160408_203819.jpg IMG_20160408_203833.jpg

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
That is beautiful! When I've taken watches in locally, they usually want around 300 to clean them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread