billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend started on a cold Thursday morning...and is a good example of the old saying:
"Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained".
Here's a shot or two of this week & weekend's finds. You might look at the pics first.

The Aug. 9, '02, Bailey No. 8 plane cost $10. I dusted and wiped away the dirt. It, and the saw, have "Johnson's Floor Paste Wax" applied with a green Scotch-brite nylon cleaning pad, it's drying until I can buff it.

The saw is a "Superior" brand, a secondary brand most likely made by Disston Saw Co. Cost: $6 including a stuck-on dirt-dobber nest.....

The draw knife needs wire-wheel brushing: $5

The '58 Farm tag was $2.

The two Victor varmint traps cost $3 each.

The Bell & Howell film reel and canister was $1

The black cast iron plumb bob: $2

I'm always looking for wooden handles with their leather reinforcement washers on the mallet end for wood chisels I find with splintered or missing wooden handles: $1

Went back to the early Thursday estate sale about mid morning today, and found the Wallace "Weighted Sterling" dish marked down 50%. Since the first day, it was labeled on the white tag, but mixed in with several silver plate items and with a big smile, I found it still there. At half price, it cost $12.50.

The pedestal appeared that someone had closed a shallower drawer on its dish edge with the round tray sticking up..... Had some visual issues. With mixed feelings, about 6 hits with a claw hammer and the plastic filler shattered into small pieces and dust. Not all weighted pieces have this thick of silver skin...

When refined, the pure silver content in this 8" nut dish equals to 4.32 T/ounces and worth: $66.50.

Found a lot more small items at a large estate sale on Friday. With the rain coming tonight, I don't have time to spread out the volume of individual boxes of steel/brass wood screws, 3lb can of new bolts, wrenches, sealed rifle/shotgun/pistol powder/reloader supplies, hand tools, or machine shop V-blocks and accessories... A true "Dig in and through all the shelves and drawers". With my small and bright LED/magnification lens, I got to the back and dark areas. On my knees, seat, and a short ladder for the top shelving, it took me over an enjoyable hour and a half. Came away with small metal toolbox filled, and two cardboard boxes for $50.

No gold this weekend, but going to these things is always an adventure. Now it's time to unwind and hunt for some data/value of some of the most unique pieces...:happy1:

Bill

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    467.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good "correction" update....

On that last day of the 50% off estate sale's sterling nut dish find, my wife was waiting on me at the checkout table where several bags of assorted jewelry were still there. She bought a baggie of assorted service pins for $3. Going through that baggie Sunday night, in it and among two 1/20 10kt gold filled pins/tie bar, were two "General Dynamics" oval service pins. A 5yr and a 10yr pin, both stamped 10kt! Together without their backings, they weigh 3.3 grams which amounts to just over $50 in gold... Sure beats panning for gold :tongue3:

Last edited:
OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics of assorted "Smalls" I found in the $50 bundle buy... Just don't know what that last thing is in the last picture. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    499.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    480.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    502.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 005.JPG